U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 06:25 PM

8 posts, read 100,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kercar View Post
Thanks again for all the input.

I'd like to hear from anyone who actually does the commute to NB from Marlboro as to what it is like.

Thanks
I've done the commute from Manalapan which borders Marlboro a number of times. It's pretty rough. It's bearable but 18 is slow moving usually.
I'd say 30 minutes would be a great commute and 45 would be more average. I haven't done it in a long time though, so I don't know how all the construction affects it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 08:56 PM

23 posts, read 91,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisislee View Post
I've done the commute from Manalapan which borders Marlboro a number of times. It's pretty rough. It's bearable but 18 is slow moving usually.
I'd say 30 minutes would be a great commute and 45 would be more average. I haven't done it in a long time though, so I don't know how all the construction affects it.
Thanks, thisislee. We're hoping to find something under 50 minutes, so 45 will work! My husband actually did a trial run of the commute this morning and said it wasn't bad. He did get a little tied up on Ryders Lane due to an accident, other than that not bad at all. Tomorrow he's going to try out the commute home in the PM.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:47 AM

12,284 posts, read 33,586,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kercar View Post
Thanks, thisislee. We're hoping to find something under 50 minutes, so 45 will work! My husband actually did a trial run of the commute this morning and said it wasn't bad. He did get a little tied up on Ryders Lane due to an accident, other than that not bad at all. Tomorrow he's going to try out the commute home in the PM.
yesterday was probably not indicative of a typical commute. i think starting next week (when ALL kids are back in school) will give you an idea of the real drive. also, i've found in my bazillion years of commuting that mid-sept through october are the WORST commuting months out of the entire year. summer lightens the load considerably...good luck!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 02:33 PM

2,865 posts, read 8,854,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
Is the Marlboro tax rate based on the expected reassessed values or current rates? We're building, and they've told us our expected rate, but I don't know if the entire town has been reassessed yet. I've heard there is going to be a measurable jump in comparison to what people have been paying.
I heard from My friend who is a Realtor in Marlboro/Manalapan/Freehold area that Marlboro is due for a tax reacceesment. Manlapan had a huge increase this year.I heard the taxes on my old house went up from Single to Double digits. Better them than Me!

Diane

Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM

7,937 posts, read 18,899,572 times
diane its been 4.5 months since Ive posted here, but I did want to chime in about the commute, considering dh did it from Jackson and it wasnt too bad..we left Manalapan to go to Millstone twp those taxes got a bit nuts too, we wound up in Jackson and omg they have gone up over 3500 since we were there for 3 years, however alot of our developents there were never fully assesed after being built so they have 6 years to catch up...I was told from the tax assesor before we moved they are anticipating them going up to 13k or so with the reassesment, we moved there it was 8000k...in 04..we just left in May....my old nieghborhood in manalapan well they too got that huge increase...last year from the reassesment....

good luck to all;;;

The commute to the Brunswicks from Manalapan isnt bad if your closest to Route 9....

Old 09-06-2007, 08:33 AM

2,865 posts, read 8,854,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
diane its been 4.5 months since Ive posted here, but I did want to chime in about the commute, considering dh did it from Jackson and it wasnt too bad..we left Manalapan to go to Millstone twp those taxes got a bit nuts too, we wound up in Jackson and omg they have gone up over 3500 since we were there for 3 years, however alot of our developents there were never fully assesed after being built so they have 6 years to catch up...I was told from the tax assesor before we moved they are anticipating them going up to 13k or so with the reassesment, we moved there it was 8000k...in 04..we just left in May....my old nieghborhood in manalapan well they too got that huge increase...last year from the reassesment....

good luck to all;;;

The commute to the Brunswicks from Manalapan isnt bad if your closest to Route 9....
I guess it depends on what time you leave. I was less than a mile from Rt 9. My son says the traffic on 9 is getting worst, it sits , barely moves.
I avoided 9 to Rt 18. I just kept going on Tennent where my development was off of, to Rt 18. I picked up Rt 18 north or south in Marlboro. There was no traffic until I hit Old Bridge around the hospital, then it eased out, and traffic again at Ryders lane. Going from Cranberry RD, in East Brunswick up, traffic again.
Diane

Old 09-06-2007, 01:28 PM

7,937 posts, read 18,899,572 times
dh took 527 to 18...he avoided rt 9 at all costs..

Old 09-06-2007, 09:48 PM

78 posts, read 382,303 times
i just moved in to cranbury, a small town next to plainsboro. while it is not one in your original list, i am not hesitate to introduce it for your consideration. cranbury has great school system, small town feeling, reasonably good tax and easy commute to NB via route 130.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:54 PM

78 posts, read 382,303 times
one more notes: some homes in neigboring towns such as plainsboro, south brunswick and east windsor have cranbury mailing address. you may find about 150 home for sale in realtor.com when you put cranbury as city. actually, cranbury township is very small. it has only about 1200 residential properties in total and about 20 homes on the market right now.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 PM

316 posts, read 882,574 times
hi. what did you decide? i am curious because my wife and i have been looking at these towns as well to possibly live in. right now we are heavily leaning toward robbinsville due to many reasons: the people, the location and access to turnpike, and rt 130 is much less congested than 18 or 1. taxes are a bit high, but it's an up and coming town and they should come down shortly due to all the commercial / retail being constructed now. plus we are falling in love with the washingtown town center which has its own town square is underway. plainsboro is not bad, but the house prices are much MUCH higher than robbinsville. not a fan of marlboro anymore. the town center in robbinsville is taking the cake right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey