U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:53 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,378,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post
hi. what did you decide? i am curious because my wife and i have been looking at these towns as well to possibly live in. right now we are heavily leaning toward robbinsville due to many reasons: the people, the location and access to turnpike, and rt 130 is much less congested than 18 or 1. taxes are a bit high, but it's an up and coming town and they should come down shortly due to all the commercial / retail being constructed now. plus we are falling in love with the washingtown town center which has its own town square is underway. plainsboro is not bad, but the house prices are much MUCH higher than robbinsville. not a fan of marlboro anymore. the town center in robbinsville is taking the cake right now!
I'm sorry but this will never happen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 11:51 AM
sj3

118 posts, read 607,660 times
Default WTC owner here...

As someone who lives in Washington Town Center, let me say, do not expect your taxes to go anywhere but THROUGH THE ROOF. We do not have and are not getting any good rateables. We need schools and once we build a new elementary school, we will need additions to the existing schools. Yes, even the HS will be too small within the next 10-15 years.
I like Town Center, it served its purpose as a starter home. I am ready to get out and get a yard, personally. I am ready to NOT be so close to my neighbors. But, it is nice overall. It isn't perfect though.

Will I stay in Robbinsville? Well, I am not sure. Part of me really likes it here. The people are nice overall, crime doesn't exist, traffic is better than the places you mentioned, but route 130 will be as bad as route 1 in no time.
The schools are OK, mixed feelings there. But, for the area, yes, they are better than most.
Part of me wants to leave because paying what we pay in property taxes is ridiculous and as I said, not going to get better for a long long time.
Part of me wants to move out of state and have a chance for a better financial future.
So I dont know if we will stay here or not.

it is a nice town, but it is in transition. While I do think it is up and coming and will do well, it is in the middle of serious growing pains and politicians who do not have their head on straight.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:40 PM

316 posts, read 883,120 times
thanks sj3. that makes sense. maybe you guys are right about the taxes. but overall the property prices in the town center are so much better than the other towns in central jersey, that it is probably worth paying the higher taxes. We originally looked middlesex county (we live temporarily in new brunswick now) and really wanted to stay in this area originally. Middlesex county is closer to work and our families as well. But after a friend told us about the town center in Robbinsville and we went there to visit, we have been leaning toward buying there. The prices are much better than what we've seen in middlesex county (piscataway, edison, north brunswick, etc) plus the town center itself is so much nicer of a complex that the ones we've seen in middlesex. For example, we're looking at a brand new 3 BR townhome in the town center for $350K. Comparable properties in Middlex county are a good $50-$100K more in price, and not one of the complexes comes close to being as nice as the town center. Not too mention the taxes are all pretty much the same for all these towns anyway.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 AM

23 posts, read 91,689 times
Quote:
hi. what did you decide? i am curious because my wife and i have been looking at these towns as well to possibly live in. right now we are heavily leaning toward robbinsville due to many reasons: the people, the location and access to turnpike, and rt 130 is much less congested than 18 or 1. taxes are a bit high, but it's an up and coming town and they should come down shortly due to all the commercial / retail being constructed now. plus we are falling in love with the washingtown town center which has its own town square is underway. plainsboro is not bad, but the house prices are much MUCH higher than robbinsville. not a fan of marlboro anymore. the town center in robbinsville is taking the cake right now!
Hi! I haven't checked this board in awhile, so I'm sorry for the late reply! We ended up buying a house in Marlboro and am so glad we did! We love it here and my husband's commute to New Brunswick is a breeze! Even at 5:30pm it only takes him 30 minutes! We looked at town center (in Robbinsville) as well. The houses were nice, but the yards were too tiny and the taxes were a lot higher than what we are paying here. Good luck to you no matter what you decide

Old 02-19-2008, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 27,811 times
Quote:
I've lived in Plainsboro for about two years before moving to robbinsville. It's been four years now and I love it (Robbinsville that is)! The town has changed so much since I discovered this wonderful town four years ago. Taxes may be a bit on the high side but it's worth paying a little more to be here than say Hamilton or Allentown especially if you have kids. Schools are great too! A lot of people emphasize education in Robbinsville whereas in the neighboring town of Hamilton, athletic seems to be thier number one priority.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,027 times
I Don't know what to do! I have 3 kids. One about to go into 8th grade and one about to go into 7th. My third is going into kindergarten, I love this town but the property taxes are RIDICULOUS! 12,000 a year? I am trying to sell but part of me doesn't want to sell because my 8th grader has a girlfriend and lots of friends here, but the other part of me wants to move to massacheutts! Please advise!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:48 PM

877 posts, read 2,632,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom219 View Post
I Don't know what to do! I have 3 kids. One about to go into 8th grade and one about to go into 7th. My third is going into kindergarten, I love this town but the property taxes are RIDICULOUS! 12,000 a year? I am trying to sell but part of me doesn't want to sell because my 8th grader has a girlfriend and lots of friends here, but the other part of me wants to move to massacheutts! Please advise!
Let me guess, you're in Marlboro?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:58 AM

168 posts, read 461,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
Let me guess, you're in Marlboro?

Nahh, 12,000 seems too high for Marlboro, unless her home was a mansion, but if that was the case then she probably wouldn't have a problem paying her taxes.

As far as MA, I love MA... to visit, or maybe to live in an apartment. I would love to live in Boston eventually but to have a house with the amount of snow they have just wouldn't be worth it to me.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:11 AM

17,579 posts, read 43,142,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom219 View Post
You want us to advise you on weather you should move or stay put for your family? Probably something that should be decided between your family members and friends.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:54 AM

877 posts, read 2,632,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKIE27 View Post
Nahh, 12,000 seems too high for Marlboro, unless her home was a mansion, but if that was the case then she probably wouldn't have a problem paying her taxes.
How so? Lots of people there live above their means. $12K for property taxes is more out of the ordinary in Plainsboro, Robbinsville or Middletown than Marlboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey