U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM

80 posts, read 179,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
How so? Lots of people there live above their means. $12K for property taxes is more out of the ordinary in Plainsboro, Robbinsville or Middletown than Marlboro.
I live in Middletown. $12K is not that far out of the ordinary for Middletown.

That's one of the reasons we're looking to get out. I expect property taxes to go up every year, but maybe $100 or $200, not nearly $1000 a year for 4 years in a row. Sheesh. And we're on the very low end for our neighborhood (of older moderately sized homes). I've got neighbors paying $11-15K in property taxes. We're "only" at $9400.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:26 PM

877 posts, read 2,635,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrolaura View Post
I live in Middletown. $12K is not that far out of the ordinary for Middletown.

That's one of the reasons we're looking to get out. I expect property taxes to go up every year, but maybe $100 or $200, not nearly $1000 a year for 4 years in a row. Sheesh. And we're on the very low end for our neighborhood (of older moderately sized homes). I've got neighbors paying $11-15K in property taxes. We're "only" at $9400.
You must be on the south side then. I doubt anything in Belford/Leonardo/East Keansburg area would have that high of a tax on it.

My grandmother's mother and two sisters all bought houses in the Cherry Tree Farm Rd section circa 1960. Those houses look real small for the lot sizes they sit on, and they all now look as though they need lots of work too. Is the land value high there do you know?

Old 06-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You must be on the south side then. I doubt anything in Belford/Leonardo/East Keansburg area would have that high of a tax on it.

My grandmother's mother and two sisters all bought houses in the Cherry Tree Farm Rd section circa 1960. Those houses look real small for the lot sizes they sit on, and they all now look as though they need lots of work too. Is the land value high there do you know?
West side actually. West side of Rt 35. My BIL in Leonardo shells out about $7K in taxes on a small 2 bedroom 1 bath ranch.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:23 PM

168 posts, read 461,487 times
Taxes for a 4-5BR in Marlboro are around 8 or 9. With a house any larger, there shouldn't be an inability to pay taxes.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM

877 posts, read 2,635,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrolaura View Post
West side actually. West side of Rt 35. My BIL in Leonardo shells out about $7K in taxes on a small 2 bedroom 1 bath ranch.
I'm somewhat familiar with Kings Hwy as it goes west of 35 (near the municipal building) and it looks kinda green and leafy, can't really get a good look at the houses there from the road though.

Come to think of it Hazlet's taxes are ridiculous too, from what I read here. And those houses are built on much smaller lots.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I'm somewhat familiar with Kings Hwy as it goes west of 35 (near the municipal building) and it looks kinda green and leafy, can't really get a good look at the houses there from the road though.

Come to think of it Hazlet's taxes are ridiculous too, from what I read here. And those houses are built on much smaller lots.
It's actually a great neighborhood, very green and leafy. Larger lots, 1/2 to 1 full acre for the most part. I can walk to the store, walk to the train station (which is excellent for resale), it's safe, mostly well maintained, family friendly, etc. Houses in that neighborhood go quickly so I'm hoping the same holds true for us when we put it on the market.

I'm not sure about Hazlet's taxes, but I know Matawan's are as outrageous as Middletown's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey