Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM

4 posts, read 10,916 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have just moved from UK to Ridgewood New Jersey. I have 2 kids and was wondering if someone can throw some light on
1. Best preschools in ridgewood
2.We are planning to buy a home in Ridgewood and was wondering which areas of ridgewood are family friendly
3. Looks like ridgewood has good schools, the reason we moved here but is there any one particular elemantary school that is highly recommended.

THanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 03:15 PM

11 posts, read 31,595 times
Default Hi!

Hi,
We will be relocating from London in summer!
Looking exactly for same sort of info as you!
Which school do you have in mind?
Our kids are 2 and 8years old boys.
Take care!

QUOTE=H & N Mom;22571100]Hi

I have just moved from UK to Ridgewood New Jersey. I have 2 kids and was wondering if someone can throw some light on
1. Best preschools in ridgewood
2.We are planning to buy a home in Ridgewood and was wondering which areas of ridgewood are family friendly
3. Looks like ridgewood has good schools, the reason we moved here but is there any one particular elemantary school that is highly recommended.

THanks[/quote]

Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
i think pretty much all of ridgewood is family friendly!

Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
What joe_moving said. You aren't going to find bad neighborhoods or bad schools in Ridgewood. Consider yourself blessed that you can afford to live in such a place and don't waste your time on minute details.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:49 AM

Default Point of view

Guys,try to understand -I have never lived in US before so I am really looking for some constructive thoughts not just comments regarding who can afford what...

Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 AM

391 posts, read 1,476,454 times
agree that there is no bad area/ schools in Ridgewood. I spent the first 20+ years of my life there, and can say that it was a great place to be a kid (granted that was a long time ago) Here's my quick take on each school and surrounding neighborhood

West Side
Ridge - Overall wealthiest, some areas walkable to downtown and RW train
Willard - Close 2nd on wealth, closer to Ho Ho Kus downtown, many can walk to HHK train station
Orchard- 3rd westside school, not much I have to offer on this one

East Side
Somerville - beautiful old victorians, close to High School. best overall neighborhood on east side
Travell- good mix of homes, can walk to Graydon pool. Wilkes deli, best potato salad in the world.
Hawes - most affordable area in town, neighborhood called "the lawns". lots of post WWII housing small capes, spits etc. i think kids from the other side of route 17 go there now too (used to go to Glenn School)

Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
If you wanted to stay away from 1 area, it might be "the other side of 17" which is sort of segregated from the rest of Ridgewood . There is nothing wrong with it, other than that it is more of a drive than a walk to places.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:03 PM

Thanks a lot!
I have found somewhere that there is this school called Pingly that lots of British expats send their children to-any comments on that?
And one more called saddler river day school....
One more question-any suggestions regarding a good nursery for my younger one? One that would have a proper curriculum to follow ..
thanks again for all your comments!
Best regards from London!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:34 PM

513 posts, read 1,167,220 times
Ridgewood has a top-notch school system...no need to waste your money on private school at that level. Use those dollars for cultural trips for the children to New York City museums and plays and ballets and musicals and pay for all kinds of lessons....music, sports, dance, drama. There's so much to do here. Your family will love it. Welcome!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:59 PM

Thanks Maryanne 10!
I was just going through Rigde school website.
Looks great! Do you have any clue if any of the schools mentioned have piano classes and if so how much it is ?
The educational system in UK is different .....so children tend to attend private/independent schools if possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey