Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:12 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
what I would do when more than 6 inches falls
Back in NJ I had a small 3hp two stroke Toro/Sears. If the storm is that bad, I would run the blower every few hours depending on the snowfall. I rarely waited until the storm was over if it was a big one. But more importantly is the consistency of the snow. The light fluffy dry powder type is easy to move. A few inches of heavy wet can be impossible.

Be cautious about the cheaper larger hp blowers. The engines are being replaced with cheap Chinese versions that don't last nearly as long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,398,016 times
personally, i wouldn't bother owning a single stage snowblower. the amount of snow it's good for, i'd rather just use a shovel.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 AM

667 posts, read 1,744,112 times
I'm in the market for a SB. I've never operated one to begin with (one of the few advantages of growing up in Brooklyn). Couple questions. Are they fairly easy to operate? What is the best strategy? Do you wait for a good 6"-12" before you start? Or is it best to handle it in smaller amounts 3"-6". Does the snowblower process all the snow all the way to the ground? or does it usually leave about 1"? can that be adjusted?
And last but not least? What is the etiquette? Meaning, where we live homes are fairly close to one another. Is all the snow to be blown to my lawn? what about the sidewalk by by home? Can I blow that snow toward the street or am I likely getting a ticket for that? Is it common courtesy to pave a path for your neighbor? If so, how far do i go doing that? Sorry for the silly questions, sort of new to true 'burb living so just trying to get an idea and not look so stupid with a new machine!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:52 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times
You want to do the snow when it about 1/2-2/3 the amount that your SB is made for if its a 12" Vertical feed, then you want to be doing it when its 6-9". You go down to abut 1/2-3/4" above the pavement. (That is adjustable). More or less you want to blow the snow on to your lawn, not your neighbors. You can't blow the snow into the street, you will get a ticket. If you like your neighbors you can do there sidewalk, Would only take a few minutes more to do, Not sure I would do there driveway, unless they are real good friends, elderly, Handicap'ed. I would let them use the SB to do there own driveway.

Also try to avoid doing your SB duties at 3am, 5/6am-9/10p are sort of the timeline.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:56 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,187 times
Don't overbuy. Some run out and buy the 9hp monsters which they will rarely need. Then they find out that are huge and difficult to maneuver. Unless you have a three car garage, many times you will be forced to leave a car out or move the car to get to the blower. For most needs the smaller ones are fine.

No, they won't move 12 inches of heavy wet snow. Most won't as they will clog. Staying ahead of it is the trick.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:23 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,142,152 times
Depending on your neighbors they may not mind if you throw snow into their yard. I do it all the time because I don't have much choice, but my neighbors don't mind at all. If you help them out by snowblowing their sidewalk or driveway I'm sure they will cut you some slack when you do yours

In terms of operation, a snowblower really isn't much different than a lawnmower. The biggest difference is adjusting the chute to direct where the snow will be thrown.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:37 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,112 times
Thanks to all.
@rscalzo, funny you say what you say, because I was planning on getting some monster!
@flyonpa, I knew you would say those wee hours! so much for hitting the on gym on snow days!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:53 PM

316 posts, read 942,969 times
Thanks all!

PDD? Back up generator?

Old 08-29-2016, 06:47 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,813 times
bumping this thread as i need to buy one for the winter. figure they will be cheaper now.

Seems like a two stage is necessary for the snow we get correct?

Old 08-29-2016, 07:03 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,975,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Seems like a two stage is necessary for the snow we get correct?
Yup. Two stage is necessary period-single stage blowers are worthless in the sense that if a single stage blower can handle it, you could probably just use a push broom instead:

//www.city-data.com/forum/41803845-post11.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey