Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:54 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,398,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I just went for a quote for a property insurance and it quoting me 2500/yr. My current premium is less than 1000.

they estimate my rebuild value at 850k and I just had an appraisal that my home is worth no more than 600k. Why there is such a big different?
rebuild cost is not the same as appraisal. but i don't see why it would be that big of a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 AM

65 posts, read 157,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I just went for a quote for a property insurance and it quoting me 2500/yr. My current premium is less than 1000.

they estimate my rebuild value at 850k and I just had an appraisal that my home is worth no more than 600k. Why there is such a big different?
Appraisal is what the house would sell for in today's market conditions. "Replacement cost" is what it would cost to build -- at today's prices -- using the same level of finish if the house had to be rebuilt from the ground-up, and usually reflects the cost to clear the job site (demolish and haul away). I've never had a house that wouldn't cost about 25 - 30% more to rebuild than what it would sell for.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:15 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,187 times
Quote:
Yeah I tried NJM they are closed up tighter than a militia or cult,
NJM will not consider anyone not employed by a member employer. That list is one their website.

No, they just terminate the policy or transfer you to their other higher cost option.

Quote:
Under our Accident and Violation Amnesty Program, NJM (F) policies do not impose a surcharge (increase premiums) because of an individual claim or motor vehicle event. NJM recognizes that good drivers can have accidents and make claims.

However, a review of the policy and the driving history will be conducted to determine whether NJM will continue the policy. When NJM notices a pattern of activity that could jeopardize the continuation of the policy, NJM will warn the policyholder. However, there are times when a serious underwriting concern may cause NJM to terminate the policy without prior notice of this concern.

If the accident is not chargeable to you, they will consider your application. If it is considered an At Fault, then they will not.

Quote:
All drivers are free of any at-fault accidents, motor vehicle violations and/or license suspensions within the past three years. However, if all drivers listed on the application meet all acceptance criteria and one operator has one motor vehicle violation resulting in no more than two violation points, that violation may be waived for eligibility purposes.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:18 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,558 times
I just switched from High Point to Liberty Mutual a couple months ago. Haven't had to use their claim service so can't comment on their customer service but the switch saved me over $700 on auto & home insurance.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 AM

91 posts, read 274,748 times
liberty Mutual might be the way to go.. i appreciate the people that respond with the best insurance companies, but its about the best cost savings with me. i am one of the many few that watch every dollar and not let anything go to waste.

Old 01-24-2012, 07:18 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPOOZ View Post
Hey Forum,

I am looking to switch to Liberty Mutual from Geico auto insurance, is this my best choice for a married couple that commutes 2 miles to a parking lot everyday? We both have clean driving records, full time jobs and no major incident except an accident claim last year that is in review currently that was supposedly closed and cannot be reopened according to geico (my reason for the change).
One thing I am looking to do is not go through an agent this is 2012 and things should be better automated in my opinion.
Can anyone help with suggestions or comments?
Your problem is that you don't have a clean driving record. According to your post you had an accident last year. Of course Geico wants to charge you higher rates. Your case may be closed but there is still a record of a claim. If it's an at fault claim nobody is going to give you a better rate.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Your problem is that you don't have a clean driving record. According to your post you had an accident last year. Of course Geico wants to charge you higher rates. Your case may be closed but there is still a record of a claim. If it's an at fault claim nobody is going to give you a better rate.
I have been calling daily to get someone to reverse this accident claim, and its nearly impossible to do with geico customer service, in the event of my claim with geico i have full proof that there was no damage to the vehicle in question, but the other party filed a claim with their own insurance and geico paid them out without question or any involvement from me regarding the incident. seems like they have a machine that just pays out claims and customers are last to be notified. LM has appears to have accident forgiveness because they want my business and are willing to give a better rate overall. Not sure if this is still the best company out there overall.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 12,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPOOZ View Post
I have been calling daily to get someone to reverse this accident claim, and its nearly impossible to do with geico customer service, in the event of my claim with geico i have full proof that there was no damage to the vehicle in question, but the other party filed a claim with their own insurance and geico paid them out without question or any involvement from me regarding the incident. seems like they have a machine that just pays out claims and customers are last to be notified. LM has appears to have accident forgiveness because they want my business and are willing to give a better rate overall. Not sure if this is still the best company out there overall.
I know this might be a bit late, but have you tried comparing auto insurance quotes (http://http://www.autoinsurancequotes.org/ - broken link)? I know they work with Geico, but I'm not sure if they can help you compare with Liberty Mutual. Also, I think some insurance companies offer a discount for garage parking, so you might want to double check if they offer that discount, as well.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliDale85 View Post
I know this might be a bit late, but have you tried comparing auto insurance quotes (http://http://www.autoinsurancequotes.org/ - broken link)? I know they work with Geico, but I'm not sure if they can help you compare with Liberty Mutual. Also, I think some insurance companies offer a discount for garage parking, so you might want to double check if they offer that discount, as well.
I compared and did not find anything I liked from a website. So I ditched the stupid commercial company once and for all, went to a private company known as Selective, yes they aren't as flashy as a pig holding a pin wheel but what they are giving me is a better rate overall and lowered my yearly coverage to a rate that out matched Geico.
My wife and I went through a local agent in my town and did exactly what my parents have done before me. It was good feeling to discuss what my predicament was and the agent was willing to get me the price I wanted without a ridiculous checklist by clicking a mouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey