Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 PM

91 posts, read 274,707 times

Advertisements

Hey Forum,

I am looking to switch to Liberty Mutual from Geico auto insurance, is this my best choice for a married couple that commutes 2 miles to a parking lot everyday? We both have clean driving records, full time jobs and no major incident except an accident claim last year that is in review currently that was supposedly closed and cannot be reopened according to geico (my reason for the change).
One thing I am looking to do is not go through an agent this is 2012 and things should be better automated in my opinion.
Can anyone help with suggestions or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
you might want to check Progressive and try their "Snapshot" deal.

you put a transmitter on your OBD2 port, and drive for a month. Basically you are providing proof that you only drive 4 miles a day and you drive like a grandmother (the key alerts are : fast acceleration, hard braking and going over 75mph). your driving habits are communicated back to them for 1 month. drive nicely!

Old 01-19-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
you might want to check Progressive and try their "Snapshot" deal.

you put a transmitter on your OBD2 port, and drive for a month. Basically you are providing proof that you only drive 4 miles a day and you drive like a grandmother (the key alerts are : fast acceleration, hard braking and going over 75mph). your driving habits are communicated back to them for 1 month. drive nicely!

I went to the progressive Site and did recieve a 6 month quote from them regarding that option, but wasn't too happy with a 6 month deal again when Liberty offered me a full year for a few hundred less and without checking my driving habits. Seems to me the 6 month deals are more common, and not really cost worthy.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Just get a quote from every place you can think of. That is the only way to figure out who is going to get you the best deal.

If you have acess to USAA or New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance those will be hard to beat.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Check out this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/fruga...ies-equal.html

Old 01-19-2012, 02:03 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Liberty mutual is cheaper per year than Progressive is for 6 months? I have liberty mutual for my homes. I think it came out to about the same for me and was not worth the move. But that is wi th a few discounts with Liberty mutual. I had a car stolen with Progressive under sort of suspicious circumstances and they were very easy to deal with.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:08 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
NJ Manufactures seems the best, I've tried getting quotes from USAA, they are just agents for Progressive now. (I was checking for motorcycle insurance which NJM does not do).

I would see if you qualify for NJM, the recent accident may hurt though. Once covered by NJM they don't charge for tickets or accidents.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
NJ Manufactures seems the best, I've tried getting quotes from USAA, they are just agents for Progressive now. (I was checking for motorcycle insurance which NJM does not do).

I would see if you qualify for NJM, the recent accident may hurt though. Once covered by NJM they don't charge for tickets or accidents.
Yeah I tried NJM they are closed up tighter than a militia or cult, and USAA is just as stingy when you dont have someone enrolled\veteran in your immediate family, which brings me back to liberty mutual. are they the best deal on the block or am i better off with the 6 month plan from the stupid commercial dot coms

Old 01-20-2012, 08:51 AM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
I just went for a quote for a property insurance and it quoting me 2500/yr. My current premium is less than 1000.

they estimate my rebuild value at 850k and I just had an appraisal that my home is worth no more than 600k. Why there is such a big different?

Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPOOZ View Post
Hey Forum,

I am looking to switch to Liberty Mutual from Geico auto insurance, is this my best choice for a married couple that commutes 2 miles to a parking lot everyday? We both have clean driving records, full time jobs and no major incident except an accident claim last year that is in review currently that was supposedly closed and cannot be reopened according to geico (my reason for the change).
One thing I am looking to do is not go through an agent this is 2012 and things should be better automated in my opinion.
Can anyone help with suggestions or comments?
last time i shopped around, both metlife and liberty blew away geico's rates for my wife and i. i should probably shop around again soon though. i'm sure it's very situational for each person though. at the time i requested a quote, maybe they had enough white male x yr olds + asian female y yr olds. you know what i mean? they have a specific portfolio they want to maintain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey