U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 01:05 PM

107 posts, read 366,164 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Long Hill Township and the Jewish population? I'm not religious, but I just don't want my daughter to be the only Jewish kid in her classes. I know they go to Watchung High, which definitely has a Jewish population with the kids from Warren. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 02:16 PM

4,302 posts, read 3,565,649 times
Funny how you phrase that-my info is Very outdated admittedly- about 15 to 20 years outdated so I am curious to see current replies. I lived there that many years ago, and your assessment was correct. My child was generally theo nly one in her class (sometimes grade) in the lower grades. I know the i high school is quite different. We never experienced any kind of discrimination or anything like that, but honestly the ignorance level with respect to diversity was at times rather offensive. ( as in when people knew that we were Jewish, still asking about our Christmas tree, or not gettting why we might not want to dress in red and green for a Christmas chorale at school) I am sure things have changed some but I dont know if the lower grades have changed so much since we were there.............. good luck in your search and I will be following back to see the updated info but had to share.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:45 PM

3,984 posts, read 6,723,009 times
DebsPSU - if you're not religious, would the Jewish-ness - or lack thereof - of a community really be an issue?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:14 PM

115 posts, read 368,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
DebsPSU - if you're not religious, would the Jewish-ness - or lack thereof - of a community really be an issue?
Even if she's not religious, the topic comes up in public schools, especially during the holidays.

In a tight knit community, people might be not used to answers like "I don't celebrate Christmas, never did." It can be awkward when there's no one else to empathize with.

And I'm Christian and had Jewish next door neighbors growing up in a pretty diverse town. They were secular, but still did holidays for the cultural reasons like Passover. They would invite our family over, we'd yell for Elijah and I gained some culture for it. We invited them over for Easter egg cracks a couple times too and did a hunt in the backyard with the neighborhood. Good times.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 01-21-2012 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: deleted post you responded too and your comments to that person

Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 AM

107 posts, read 366,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherno View Post
Even if she's not religious, the topic comes up in public schools, especially during the holidays.

In a tight knit community, people might be not used to answers like "I don't celebrate Christmas, never did." It can be awkward when there's no one else to empathize with.

And I'm Christian and had Jewish next door neighbors growing up in a pretty diverse town. They were secular, but still did holidays for the cultural reasons like Passover. They would invite our family over, we'd yell for Elijah and I gained some culture for it. We invited them over for Easter egg cracks a couple times too and did a hunt in the backyard with the neighborhood. Good times.
THIS exactly. Thanks for your understanding. I just wouldn't want my child to get the side eye because she doesn't have a Christmas tree, and then explain WHY we don't have one, etc., and be the only kid in her class experiencing this. My best friend growing up was Catholic, and she came to Hanukkah and Passover and I went to Christmas and Easter things, and it was a great way to learn and experience both.

We found a beautiful house in Long Hill, but I'm hesitate to look there for those reasons. Probably continue to focus on Warren and Basking Ridge

Old 01-22-2012, 09:29 AM

4,302 posts, read 3,565,649 times
I would recommend contacting the temples in both Warren and Summit- and asking them about the enrollment/ages from Long Hill Township. I think if you explain your concerns, they would probably be able to shed some "current" information on that. They will certainly know where their congregation is based .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey