Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 01:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
We live in democracy country, whether we like it or not, the majority always win. Believe it or not, most business owners are for the blue laws because they still make plenty of money 6 days a week, and they knew about the blue laws when they opened their stores, so it's not something surprisingly. Some places, such as my local chinese restaurant stay close on Sundays (Even though they are allowed to remain open), so is my local hair salong being closed. A day of rest is wonderful.
We have a constitution, whether you like it or not. Most blue laws have been ruled unconstitutional. We're just lagging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Sure if the owners want to open up, but the employees should have the right to refuse to work that day without ramifications.
Correct, there should be no legal ramifications for refusing to work on a particular day. However, the employer should retain their right to be an at-will employer just as the employee should retain their right to be an at-will employee.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There are plenty of places to buy things that are not in Bergen County. I really feel for retail workers. Working retail does not give one a normal life and at least those in Bergen have off when other family members do.
It's a choice. I feel bad for nba players. They have to constantly travel and be away from their kids..... but I understand it's a choice to play for the nba.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:28 PM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Quote:
..... but the employees should have the right to refuse to work that day without ramifications.
Yeah, that's a recipe for running a successful venture

Old 01-27-2012, 05:02 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I hate them. Once I drove all the way from Montclair to the Ikea, only for it to be closed.
Are you talking about Montclair to Paramus? That's. under. 13. miles.

I run more than that on an average week.

I am sorry to be so pejorative, but I can't relate to anyone 'back home' any longer for a variety of reasons, and this is one: relative distance. Montclair to Paramus just isn't that much of a drive. Especially on Sunday.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:28 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's a recipe for running a successful venture
And why do you think that so many stores decide not to open on Easter Sunday? Businesses have already learned from the numerous call-outs on that date either to not open due to lack of employees or open by themselves.

Quote:
the employer should retain their right to be an at-will employer just as the employee should retain their right to be an at-will employee.
Understanding it is one thing. Abuse of it is the real problem.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:56 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
Quote:
If an entire country like Israel can close down all businesses from Friday sundown to an hour past sundown on Saturday as a day of rest then the people of these counties should have the same rights in the US. There are communities North of these counties across the New York border that close down completely on Saturday, but its mandated by the Orthodox religions rather than the government.

Its only the Orthodox of all of them. So its the minority of a minority of the groups. So its actually very few.

Americans are losing their freedoms every year. How many people remember when on Christmas Day, Thanksgiving Day and on New Years Day nearly every business was closed?

Sure if the owners want to open up, but the employees should have the right to refuse to work that day without ramifications.
This is not a theocracy. It is a free country. In a free country we don't tell people to stop living on weekends. If we ourselves want a day of rest, then we make that decision and run our life accordingly. We do not become tyrannical busybodies demanding that others live the same way we do.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:00 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
We live in democracy country, whether we like it or not, the majority always win. Believe it or not, most business owners are for the blue laws because they still make plenty of money 6 days a week, and they knew about the blue laws when they opened their stores, so it's not something surprisingly. Some places, such as my local chinese restaurant stay close on Sundays (Even though they are allowed to remain open), so is my local hair salong being closed. A day of rest is wonderful.
The majority do NOT always win. Individual rights are designed precisely to protect against the tyranny of the majority. And a day of rest should be an option for anyone who wants to rest. There are those who do not want to rest and do not need to rest. They should be free to go 24/7 if that is what they want to do.

We need to remember to live and let live, and to remember that the primary difference between American and other inferior countries is our dedication to freedom.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
Quote:
This is not a theocracy. It is a free country. In a free country we don't tell people to stop living on weekends. If we ourselves want a day of rest, then we make that decision and run our life accordingly. We do not become tyrannical busybodies demanding that others live the same way we do.
What is Canada then.

Quote:
The Days of Rest Act identifies specific days during the year that businesses must be closed. These days include the weekly day of rest (Sunday) and ten prescribed days of rest; New Year's Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, New Brunswick Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
Days of Rest Act - Local Government (http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/local_government/governance/content/days_of_rest_act.html - broken link)

Old 01-27-2012, 08:38 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,735 times
I'm not very religious, however, I live in Bergen County and LOVE the Blue Law.

I like it that everything is closed on Sundays. Well, except healthclubs, Costco, movies, grocery stores, etc ... it's my one day I can sit, relax, and do whatever I want ... it's usually hiking at Ramapo or Harriman Mountain, and then grocery shopping and laundry ....

Bergen County is so congested~ it's nice just that one day to be able to get in my car and travel 5-10 miles without it taking me 30 minutes .... I will never vote for that to be changed.

You know, if you want to do things, Bergen County isn't far from Woodbury Commons, the big outlet shopping center, or NYC .... The Barnes & Noble in Hackensack is also open 7-days a week ... And, Houston's is next door - fantastic food and wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey