Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 04:40 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If only I could get paid for bickering...
my son likes to bicker and argue. i tell him he should go to law school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 05:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Well, I support enhancing the freedoms of the employees.

I mean years back companies had children working and there were 12 hour workdays for 7 or 8 days per week. Conditions were deplorable. Remember that fire in that seamstress factor in New York? The management locked the women in the building during working hours and the place caught fire. Women jumped to their death from high windows and the roof.

It was only by limiting the freedom of the corporations that these situations changed. Could that be the 'freedom' you are referring to?
You got unions out of that example. Now we see how bad that kind of limitations on corporations are.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
The vast majority of the sweatshop stories are utter lies. They were, and are, promulgated by collectivists with agendas in an attempt to smear freedom (aka Capitalism).

There should be no laws regarding 40 or 50 or 90 hour weeks. Employers should be able to ask for whatever they want, and employees should decide if they want to comply of their own free will. The government should be out of the labor market entirely. In fact, all laws regarding unions should be repealed also. The labor market should be just that: a market. Where sellers and buyers of labor set their own prices and terms based on their own rational self-interest.
That t-shirt factory in New York is actually true and was the beginning of the movement towards unions.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,308 times
A majority of the complaining on this topic seems to come from people who DON'T live in Bergen County.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:06 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
So you support limiting freedom. I don't understand why you bother staying in America.
I don't think it's too much to ask to allow people working in retail to have a decent Thanksgiving, delaying the stores from opening an additional 6 hours isn't exactly a police state after all. You sound like a ruthless factor owner that can't understand how there workers have rights with that statement.

Quote:
When you go into retail, you understand that the holidays are a vital time of the year when most of the money is made. If you can't get on board with that, stay out of retail.
I really don't think delaying the opening of stores a few more hours is going to cost any of these corporations any sales. If all the retail stores all have to play by the same rules, who gets hurt here? It's all benefit and no cost to the retail stores. You really sound like a heartless scrounge that only cares about money. Obviously you do not work in retail to be so careless about other people.

Quote:
I wonder if the workers in other parts of the world that are wiping the floor with us also whine and cry and worship their time "off" instead of time "on".
You should get your facts straight before you post. United States workers have the LEAST amount of paid time off compared to other developed countries, coming in at 13 days, Italy has the most with 42 days, France, Germany and Brazil have over 30 days, Even Japan and Korea have 25 days. Guess you will not be satisfied until American workers have no paid time off. And are working 12 hours a day in dangerous conditions. Let's bring back the good old days before these unions screwed up this country with all there bothersome decent wages and worker rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
A majority of the complaining on this topic seems to come from people who DON'T live in Bergen County.
True but irrelevant. The topic at hand is Any Non-Christian who like the blue laws? If the topic heading was Any Non-Christian who like the blue laws that live in Bergen County? It be a different story.

Last edited by TechGromit; 01-30-2012 at 08:27 PM..

Old 01-30-2012, 08:53 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
You got unions out of that example. Now we see how bad that kind of limitations on corporations are.
On principal, business needs regulations.

Blue laws are a smaller aspect of this issue.

It is the ending of regulation (Glass Steagall) that caused the economic problems that we just went through. If presidents from Reagan to Bush, Jr. had just left it in tact our financial dilemma would not have propagated itself throughout the economy.

Please note that the group I mentioned does not include only Republicans. Clinton was largely at fault for getting rid of Glass Steagall.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I don't think it's too much to ask to allow people working in retail to have a decent Thanksgiving, delaying the stores from opening an additional 6 hours isn't exactly a police state after all. You sound like a ruthless factor owner that can't understand how there workers have rights with that statement.
You act like the businesses want to open their stores earlier. It's the demand for shopping after Thanksgiving that forces businesses to open up. There's no way that a business is going to overlook the demand of their customers. A better solution is for people to just stop shopping the day after Thanksgiving. I guarantee you that if no one shopped the day after Thanksgiving, businesses wouldn't open so early.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
You act like the businesses want to open their stores earlier. It's the demand for shopping after Thanksgiving that forces businesses to open up. There's no way that a business is going to overlook the demand of their customers. A better solution is for people to just stop shopping the day after Thanksgiving. I guarantee you that if no one shopped the day after Thanksgiving, businesses wouldn't open so early.
Well, there is a strong demand in this country for legalized drugs, but that's not happening, is it? Sometimes there needs to be a balance between one party's interests and those of another.

What is the harm if all businesses were closed for a bit? Everyone would still do their shopping, but would fit it in to some other time.

This is hardly an issue of foriegn competition. People are hardly going to go to Europe to do holiday shopping because their nearby stores are closed for a couple of extra hours.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
On principal, business needs regulations.

Blue laws are a smaller aspect of this issue.

It is the ending of regulation (Glass Steagall) that caused the economic problems that we just went through. If presidents from Reagan to Bush, Jr. had just left it in tact our financial dilemma would not have propagated itself throughout the economy.

Please note that the group I mentioned does not include only Republicans. Clinton was largely at fault for getting rid of Glass Steagall.
I agree in some regulation.... but regulating when a business is opened or closed is going too far. Requiring businesses to provide health insurance or pensions is ridiculous.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I agree in some regulation.... but regulating when a business is opened or closed is going too far. Requiring businesses to provide health insurance or pensions is ridiculous.
You sound as though we should drop to the work standards of the Chinese or Indians. That, of course, would drop us to their lifestyle, too.

Is that the standard we should hold our business relationships and lifestyle to, or should we better emulate the Western nations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey