Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 PM

18 posts, read 27,195 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered the position today, so we are headed east when the school year ends.

My head is already spinning with all of the information to process regarding the move. I don't know how people relocate cross-country and do it.

So far though, Bergen County is seeming to be our best bet. Fair Lawn and Rutherford seem good, there is a church meetinghouse between Paterson and Fair lawn and I'd like for my kids to be able to make friends from church since we'll move early summer.

I'm happy in an older home, but don't want any big ticket items to deal with right off the bat- we moved into this house and in the first year did a new roof and a/c system and those ate up so much of the 'fixxer upper' budget. Paint and floors I can deal with pretty easily, but I'm not wanting to have to live in a construction zone while we try and settle in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 PM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyUt72 View Post
My husband was offered the position today, so we are headed east when the school year ends.

My head is already spinning with all of the information to process regarding the move. I don't know how people relocate cross-country and do it.

So far though, Bergen County is seeming to be our best bet. Fair Lawn and Rutherford seem good, there is a church meetinghouse between Paterson and Fair lawn and I'd like for my kids to be able to make friends from church since we'll move early summer.

I'm happy in an older home, but don't want any big ticket items to deal with right off the bat- we moved into this house and in the first year did a new roof and a/c system and those ate up so much of the 'fixxer upper' budget. Paint and floors I can deal with pretty easily, but I'm not wanting to have to live in a construction zone while we try and settle in.
Congrats on the job offer!

I would concur that Fair Lawn and Rutherford are certainly good places to start. Keep in mind that Bergen County has an insane amount of towns - so keep your options open.

Someone may have mentioned this already, but if a community active in church is important to you, you should look at Midland Park (though it lacks a train station - and if you're going to be working near Penn Station - that train will make life much easier). For some reason or another, Midland Park seems to have a very active Christian church going community and culture - which I was quite frankly surprised to see even still existed around here.

Oh wait, you're from Utah. Does that mean you're talking specifically about a Mormon Church? Are there Mormon Churches in New Jersey?

Sorry if these are silly questions - I honestly have no idea.

If you have any other Bergen County specific questions, feel free to ask!

EDIT: So I looked, and there is an LDS Church right over the border with Fair Lawn in Paterson. I grew up right over there and had no idea! Well that should help you feel a little less homesick!

Last edited by labcjo; 02-13-2012 at 11:04 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 11:55 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Yes, there are "Saints" in NJ! I've worked with a few over the years.

And yes, labcjo, Midland Park has always been known as a "town of churches". They are less active than in previous years, and attendance is down, like everywhere. The Episcopal Church joined up with Allendale's parish because of low attendance but they sold their building to a Syrian Orthodox congregation. The RC church in Midland Park is pretty active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey