Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 11:37 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
CaptainNJ "historic" means that people are more likely to rent it out and want to live in it or use it.
where do you get that idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 01:58 PM

513 posts, read 1,166,846 times
Some people do not appreciate or understand the significance of the history that has taken place in Paterson....stop by the Botto House and the Paterson Museum and the Great Falls sometime to refresh your memory or learn new things. You will be not be disappointed.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:09 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why is it sad? people label things "historic structures" and all the sudden they are valuable. this is despite the fact that they clearly have no value to anybody!! its garbage, nobody is using it, nobody cares, destroy it.
Why you continually make negative comments about places you know nothing about & don't frequent astounds me.
Are you particularly familiar with the urban fabric of Paterson? Do you have any basis whatsoever for your comment? Any at all?
I don't know anything about Holmdel, therefore I keep my yap shut about it.

What's your problem?

Old 01-28-2012, 03:09 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
CaptainNJ - Why do you think millions of people visit historical sites every year? Many people are attracted to history. Maybe not you, but historical significance raises people's attention. No, not everybody, but I know a lot of people that love homes and buildings with historic value. Why do you think a lot of people look for Victorian homes to live in? It is not JUSt so they can get a good deal on a fixer-upper, the history behind it is part of the draw.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:02 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
There's only a certain amount of land. Around here, it's pretty much all been used by someone at some point. If you want to live in the present you have to destroy part of the past; it's inevitable. Not everyone wants to live in a museum.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:41 PM

nybbler - The problem with that argument is that we having ALREADY destroyed the larger part of the historical structures in NJ. In Oakland there used to be numerous large Victorian buildings along Rt 202. They are mostly gone now. Most buildings left in NJ are NOT museum pieces. But if Paterson is going to advertise its rich historical past, it is going to have to first conserve it.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Why you continually make negative comments about places you know nothing about & don't frequent astounds me.
Are you particularly familiar with the urban fabric of Paterson? Do you have any basis whatsoever for your comment? Any at all?
I don't know anything about Holmdel, therefore I keep my yap shut about it.

What's your problem?
why would i frequent a place that is worthless and is being torn down? since when did old abandoned factories become "historic sites?" thats pathetic.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
CaptainNJ - Why do you think millions of people visit historical sites every year? Many people are attracted to history. Maybe not you, but historical significance raises people's attention. No, not everybody, but I know a lot of people that love homes and buildings with historic value. Why do you think a lot of people look for Victorian homes to live in? It is not JUSt so they can get a good deal on a fixer-upper, the history behind it is part of the draw.
ok, but if not enough people are interested in a historic site to do anything with it of value, then let it get demolished and dont whine about it.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
nybbler - The problem with that argument is that we having ALREADY destroyed the larger part of the historical structures in NJ.
Thing is, history keeps happening. The new structures which were built get older and become "historical".

Quote:
But if Paterson is going to advertise its rich historical past, it is going to have to first conserve it.
Maybe Paterson needs to worry more about its impoverished present than its past.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:38 PM

Maybe Paterson should advertise their rich past to assist with a future revival of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey