Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:19 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
The funny thing is people think Christie is a messiah. He's a shrewd talking backstabbing politician. He put about 50 people in most likely little show or no show jobs and than signs off on toll increases. I thought he was going to be better than Corzine but he seems to be getting exactly like him. He's a scammer. Instead of keeping the tolls at the same price he packs up a bus of political hacks and sends them up to the Port Authority to fleece us taxpayers out of more money. What happened to the cut, cut, cut. As long as his hacks get it than it's fine.The best quote of the article.
Together, the jobs pay about $4 million in annual salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 09:53 PM

292 posts, read 718,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
When state aid is cut to towns and schools most towns have to lay off school employees, cut police, less employees, less garbage collection and so forth. In addition to raising taxes to make up for the shortfall. It's very, very easy not to send aid to towns. It's very, very hard to solve the property tax problem. His smoke and mirrors game has not reduced my tax responsibility in any shape and form. I know the republican mantra is less govt. aid to people but that aid has to be made up somewhere along with cuts. It's a magicians act. I went to NYC last week and the toll was 12 bucks, last time I checked his signature was still wet from signing the increase.
I don't agree with everything he says or does, and that toll increase as well as his stance on immigration are the two areas where I personally depart from his thinking the most.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:42 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Jersey Man, you'll get NO argument from me regarding toll increases. I've hated tolls for about as long as I've been driving. They should not exist! I've wasted too much valuable time sitting in traffic at some God-Forsaken toll booth just to inch closer up to the window and pay them their stinking fee. Plus how many times have you seen some knucklhead darting in and out of lanes just to get to the right lane, or one that has less of a wait. Make up the revenue in the gas tax. Those people who drive more --- pay more. Seems fair to me.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:23 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Well if you removed all the tolls , then the gas tax would need to be increased by at 400% to cover the loss of revenue... I think all Interstates should be tolled like in Europe and Japan , hench why there highways run in the Green and turn a huge profit... I think we should copy off there tolling system , Huge Toll Bays with lanes for Cash , Credit / Debt , or Electronic tags , traffic jams are rare at these huge toll gates...except during summer vacations when the North heads south... Tolls also pay for large bridge and toll projects that couldn't be built with or maintained by the Gas tax...

Millau Viaduct Toll Plaza - Millau (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7554428@N02/4950164905/ - broken link) by house42 (http://www.flickr.com/people/7554428@N02/ - broken link), on Flickr

Pays for this...

Millau Viaduct (http://www.flickr.com/photos/naparish/2305560666/ - broken link) by NAParish (http://www.flickr.com/people/naparish/ - broken link), on Flickr

Copie de VIADUC DE MILLAU NORD-SUD (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tourismeaveyron/6766203533/ - broken link) by Imagine Aveyron (http://www.flickr.com/people/tourismeaveyron/ - broken link), on Flickr

Old 01-30-2012, 08:49 AM

513 posts, read 1,167,474 times
Interesting article on taxes under Christie: NJ Spotlight | Net Property Taxes Up 20 Percent Under Christie (http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/12/0130/0238/ticle - broken link)

Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
Interesting article on taxes under Christie: NJ Spotlight | Net Property Taxes Up 20 Percent Under Christie (http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/12/0130/0238/ticle - broken link)
I agree. When he cuts program after program and cuts most aid to towns this is what happens.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I agree. When he cuts program after program and cuts most aid to towns this is what happens.
Why is the state getting all this money to "give back " to the towns in the first place?

Why doesn't the state let the towns manage getting what they need from their local citizens.

If my town wants to build an olympic pool and Disney quality playground, or provide lavish lump sum payouts to our retiring public workers, why should the good citizens of Newark, Mendham or anywhere else have to kick in? That's not fair to them.

It's easier to kick your own big spending politicians out of office than someone elses.

Locally spent money should be obtained locally.

Giving it to the state's politicians to redistibute as they see fit only corrupts them even more.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:15 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Why is the state getting all this money to "give back " to the towns in the first place?

Why doesn't the state let the towns manage getting what they need from their local citizens.

If my town wants to build an olympic pool and Disney quality playground, or provide lavish lump sum payouts to our retiring public workers, why should the good citizens of Newark, Mendham or anywhere else have to kick in? That's not fair to them.

It's easier to kick your own big spending politicians out of office than someone elses.

Locally spent money should be obtained locally.

Giving it to the state's politicians to redistibute as they see fit only corrupts them even more.
+1
And in the same respect, what's the problem with toll increases? I use local roads, maintained by my property taxes. Why should I pay, via increased gas tax, for people who choose to commute to the city. Also, the tolls bring in a lot of revenue from out of state. In the summer, when I use the highways a lot to go to Long Island, I pay my share for my own usage. What could be more fair than that?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM

265 posts, read 597,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
1) If I had my way, we would cut aid to suburban districts with median income over $90,000 by 15% across the board
Would you redistribute the education dollars to districts that need it more, or just cut the budget?

The median means that half the occupants make UNDER $90K... not sure this makes sense to them....

This might cause higher income people to buy in "lower" areas to avoid higher taxes, and devalue high end areas.

If you did this, I am not sure if $90K median is high enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartone View Post
2) Your Mayor and council must have raised your taxes because Christie did not sign a tax increase
Assuming areas with over $90K in median income have their funding cut, wouldn't you expect Mayors/Councils to raise taxes to take up the slack?

As we struggle with jobs going overseas, I am not sure that taking a hatchet to funding in the US is a the best move... redirecting funds, and reform are needed, but this should not the the place to cut IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey