Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:44 PM

19,067 posts, read 25,221,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
The guy and his two sons would drive around the lot looking for people driving cars with body damage. They would approach the drivers and tell them they would fix their car for X amount of dollars.

I had one of those charlatans approach me recently in a parking lot in Central NJ.

I had bent down to pick up something that I had dropped and had rolled under the car, and this guy drove up in his Cadillac heap, hopped out to a symphony of groans from his unlubricated door hinges, and asked me..."what kinda body woik does ya need?"

I looked at him as if he was someone from Mars, and replied..."if you actually take a look at this one year old car, you will see that it is in perfect condition".
His reply was..."oh, I taut dat ya was lookin at body damage on ya car".

Even if I did have body damage, the idea of having body work done by someone whose own car looks like a refugee from a demolition derby is...laughable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,624,640 times
Anyone got any answers to the actual question though? I meant less expensive than the dealer would charge.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:51 PM

77 posts, read 375,652 times
Aftermarket sunroofs are the worse possible addition you can add to a car. Unless you want a shower, water on the seats, water on the carpets, do not do it. After working for many years in an auto body shop/dealership I can tell you with certainty expect the roof to leak. If you do not mind the typical leaks I described then do it. I will tell you wet carpets over time smell like an old diaper, not to mention the floor steel beneath eventually rusting through. Now you are faced with the body rusting because of the aftermarket sunroof. If an aftermarket roof does not leak consider yourself very very lucky.

Both of my cars currently have factory installed sunroofs, neither of them have ever leaked. My oldest car is 10 years old, my newest car is a two year old Mazda. Neither car has ever allowed a drop of water in the car when the roof was closed.

One of my friends is currently suffering the affects of an aftermarket sunroof installed in his new car that leaks. He returned the car to the Passaic county Mazda dealer dozens of times for repairs. Each time being told the same thing, no more leaks. After the first rain the seats and carpet are again wet. The dealer tried to work with him by having the contracted sunroof installers install a new sunroof assembly. The car currently has the fourth new sunroof installed. Sadly, it to leaks.

I apologize for my wordy response to this thread, it is all true.
Bill

Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,624,640 times
It's all good, sbc, thanks for the input. Something to think about now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: