U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:45 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,952,477 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone went for a gun permit in recent years for NJ. I'm looking into getting one soon, for safety mainly, and was wondering how hard it is to get one. I believe there is a difference between permits for rifle vs. handgun, and I'm not interested in concealed carry permit.

My friend seemed to get his permit fairly easily, but they were also very quick to take it away (his mom threatened to be suicidal), and from there it was a year long battle with police to get them back, and then more time as police wouldn't give them back even with a court order. I know NJ is strict, looking for more first hand experience, what to expect, and if its an easy process or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 11:04 AM

4,229 posts, read 10,124,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
My friend seemed to get his permit fairly easily, but they were also very quick to take it away (his mom threatened to be suicidal), and from there it was a year long battle with police to get them back, and then more time as police wouldn't give them back even with a court order. I know NJ is strict, looking for more first hand experience, what to expect, and if its an easy process or not.

Well, I dont have that kind of drama in my life. Basically it is just a matter of filling out paperwork and waiting for it to be approved.

Once approved (which you should be unless you are insane or a felon), you get a permit to purchase long guns (rifles and shotguns) for life (unless you commit a felony or go insane). If you want to purchase a handgun, you need to fill out a seperate form, which, when granted, gives you a 30 day window in which you can purchase a single hand gun. If you ever want to buy another handgun, you must reapply.

I wouldnt call it an "easy process" but it is basically just a matter of filling out paperwork.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 AM

2,660 posts, read 5,728,891 times
You also have to go to a certain location to get fingerprints done - they don't do it at the police stations. I think you have to have 2 references, but that might have been Pennsylvania. They don't go out of their way to make it easy, but it really isn't that difficult either.

Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 17,109,335 times
NJ does make it a little tougher than some other states. I can go get a permit in NC and be home with a handgun in about an hour. Then again we have domestic shootings every single day and always by good law abiding citizens.
Be glad it's a little tougher in NJ

Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM

9,124 posts, read 34,859,572 times
Much depends on the particular town you live in. You have to apply at your local police department, and some towns aren't really big on having armed citizens, so they tend to drag their feet with the paperwork. When I lived in Woodbridge, you could only pick up and drop off the paperwork one one day of the week, during about a 3-hour window. They also took about 4 months to process it. In other towns, you can get the paperwork anytime at the front desk, and the background checks and processing might be done in a week or two.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 PM

3,377 posts, read 13,890,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Much depends on the particular town you live in. You have to apply at your local police department, and some towns aren't really big on having armed citizens, so they tend to drag their feet with the paperwork. When I lived in Woodbridge, you could only pick up and drop off the paperwork one one day of the week, during about a 3-hour window. They also took about 4 months to process it. In other towns, you can get the paperwork anytime at the front desk, and the background checks and processing might be done in a week or two.
I haven't bought any handguns in quite some time. I thought the process is now handled by the State Police or is it just for carry permit requests?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:43 PM

807 posts, read 936,819 times
There are many misdemeanors that will prevent you from getting a permit, not just felonies and insanity.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:32 PM

1,203 posts, read 2,878,922 times
Texas.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:41 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,958,112 times
What a sad state of affairs in NJ. No law abiding US citizen should have to have a permit to own a gun. It's unconstitutional and ridiculous.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 2,878,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
What a sad state of affairs in NJ. No law abiding US citizen should have to have a permit to own a gun. It's unconstitutional and ridiculous.
Yeah, my life is in such peril. If only I had a gun! I mean I could be walking my dog, picking up their poop, AND A MAD MAN COULD COME RUNNING FROM BEHIND A TREE BRANDISHING A FLAMING BIRDFEEDER AND... oh forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey