Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:14 AM

901 posts, read 2,248,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEddie View Post
the territory is princeton-freehold. outside sales rep position. what about living in Hoboken?
Forget Hoboken, the commute would be awful. Plus don't they require you to live in territory?

I agree Princeton is kind of boring not too much of a nightlife, you have three bars, Triumph (a brew pub), they have live music on weekends and really good food. Ivy Inn, a dive college hang out, and A&B a over 30yr old happy hour spot.

If you like to go out every night or go dancing this is not the place for you. However, if your more of a weekender, dinner and a few drinks kind of guy you could be happy here. It is a very nice upscale town, and expensive. There is also a lot of places along RT 1 (in the Princeton area). If you've got big bucks to spend on rent, I would rent within walking distance of Nassau St. Otherwise I would look at apt complexes no more than 5 miles away (for the cheaper cab ride).

You could also do New Brunswick. There is more options on the nightlife, dancing, clubs, comedy place. But it's further away from your territory, and rent in the downtown is very expensive and it borders the ghetto. Here you'll have a mix of the college crowd, business yuppies, and urban wannabies. It's more city like so parking is going to be a problem, you may have to pay for a parking deck. If you wanted to be a bit more outside you could rent in Somerset and cab it in at night.

Anyway those are your best options for nightlife in Central NJ, sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:43 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,370 times
Quote:
the territory is princeton-freehold. outside sales rep position. what about living in Hoboken?
Okay. That gives me an East-West region. Now what would the North-South extremes be?

Hoboken sounds great, but as others have said, the commute ultimately becomes a PITA and outweighs and "fun factor" of the area.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:28 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
New Brunswick. Much better nightlife than Princeton and there is a lot of housing in town and much more affordable. Just get good advice so you don't end up in the shady part of town but the central "luxury" apartments would all fit the bill. Probably the only non-suburban option around and if you want a single life you definitely don't want suburbia.

If you are covering Princeton-Freehold your territory heads south making Hoboken even less appealing. New Brunswick is directly on the NECorridor line so you could walk to the train station and take trips into NY and Philly which will give you a whole other range of options as far as social life.

Your other option may be towards the shore but others more familiar with the shore towns can chime in there.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 PM

27 posts, read 51,474 times
trenton, sayreville, highlands, asbury park, toms river and point pleasant are the specifics of the territory I would be covering.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
Quote:
trenton, sayreville, highlands, asbury park, toms river and point pleasant are the specifics of the territory I would be covering.
You're heading pretty south. New Brunswick would work. Red Bank maybe. both are reasonably accessible to and from that territory and will give you nightlife plus NY transportation options. I wouldn't live in Hoboken, too much of a trek.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:42 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,086 times
Princeton if you like a super nice town with nice campus and extra amenities of being near the university. Red Bank area if you want to be near the beach.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
Red Bank, Belmar and Manasquan come to mind, or even parts of Freehold itself might not be too bad. Being near the beach (without having to deal with the traffic) on weekends would be a definite plus. Plainsboro might work as well. Lots of younger people (used to be called the 'swinging singles' haven back in the day), tons of outdoor activities, bike paths, and a quick trip into Princeton for dates, drinks and dinner. Equally quick to New Brunswick (shoot up Rt. 27) and would also get you to your territory in reasonable amount of time.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:54 PM

27 posts, read 51,474 times
Thanks guys, you've all been very helpful. I'm leaning towards Red Bank or New Brunswick. How do they compare to one another? I know Red Bank will be great in summer, but what about winter? I am also looking to get Giants season tickets - how do the commutes compare from these places to Hoboken (sister lives in Hoboken)? Do they both have convenient transportation into Manhattan?

Once again, everyone has been so helpful - thank you!

Old 02-23-2012, 06:39 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
Bus or train into Manhattan from Hoboken, New Brunswick or Red Bank is the best way to go. The drive from Red Bank to Giant stadium would be a little longer than from New Brunswick(GSP from Red Bank, Turnpike from New Bruns.)~not sure about public transportation directly in to Giant Stadium

Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,773,597 times
I lived in Princeton when I was that age. I was totally bored. Did it for about 6 months and then moved to the city (and switcheed jobs to be there too)

all matters if you are in Princeton or "Princeton". A ton of places say princeton and they are not. The train from Hoboken to the true princeton stop is about 1 hr 35 min each way. Tons of people do that from princeton to the city every day

I have known people that do the reverse commute from Hoboken (and NYC) to Princeton Jct. The trick is that they take the train, but that they also park their cars in the daily lots at the train station FOR FREE. All daily spots are filled everyday. When someone pays for a spot, they pay for the day. So someone gets there at 6am, pays, goes to the city, and comes back around 6pm. You show up at 6pm, park in that spot, go home, and then come back the next day and take your car to work around 9am. They do not check if you paid or not until after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey