Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 14,175 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am moving to NJ from North Carolina and am closing on a modest condo (cost is under 160K). I was shocked when I received a closing cost estimate of over $9,000. Is this normal?

The following looks suspect.

1. I have put 4 months worth property tax payments in escrow with the lender, and give the lawyer another two months for immediate payment to the township.

2. Title search and insurance are over $2,000.

3. I have to pay 6 months of HOA fees as a membership fee for entering the community. Nothing can be done here, but still, this is outrageous.

If anyone has experience with these costs, let me know. I was counting on NJ closing costs being around 6K, but 9K is absurd.

Thanks,

WC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 AM

5,338 posts, read 14,071,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcladley View Post
Hi All,

I am moving to NJ from North Carolina and am closing on a modest condo (cost is under 160K). I was shocked when I received a closing cost estimate of over $9,000. Is this normal?

1. I have put 4 months worth property tax payments in escrow with the lender, and give the lawyer another two months for immediate payment to the township.

3. I have to pay 6 months of HOA fees as a membership fee for entering the community. Nothing can be done here, but still, this is outrageous.

If anyone has experience with these costs, let me know. I was counting on NJ closing costs being around 6K, but 9K is absurd.

Thanks,

WC
If you are putting 20% or more down, you do not have to escrow for your real estate taxes. Fyi-escrows are not closing costs.

I have heard that NJ closing costs are on the high side.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM

87,952 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks,

WC
That 6 months of HOA fees is outrageous. I think I had to pay a one-time fee of a couple of hundred dollars.

I bought a $180,000 condo in June of 2010, and my closing costs were $6,000. I'd call the lender and argue over some of that.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:23 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,000,683 times
Remember its just an estimate. You wont know for sure until you get the settlement sheet a few days before closing. I closed on a house in August and my estimate was a lot higher then it ended up actually being.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:56 PM

4,058 posts, read 4,099,049 times
You made a bad choice for moving to NJ.

If I have to do it again, I would never buying NJ.

Don't get me wrong. I think NJ is great. But the tax is simply too high. The tax code here is worst than NY. At least NY pick up your tab if you loss money. In NJ, when you make money, they want a share, when you loss, you are on your own.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:18 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,326,972 times
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks,

WC
between the taxes in escrow, first month's payment, title insurance...etc., it's easy to get to $10,000 in CCs. sounds reasonable to me.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 PM

478 posts, read 1,224,103 times
I've been out of the mortgage biz for a while, but 2 months escrow was more typical. Better to estimate on the high side.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:08 AM

17,574 posts, read 45,968,514 times
You should have known about the HOA fees from day 1.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:24 PM

65 posts, read 157,568 times
We closed on a house in December, 2011. Part of what we had to pay at closing were the property taxes due February 1, 2012. Our attorney told us that it is standard practice that you must pay any charges that are due within 60 days from the closing date at the closing.

Remember that if the seller has already paid the property taxes due in the quarter when you close, you will have to reimburse the seller at closing for the portion of the quarter that you'll own the house. If the taxes are $3K a quarter and you close February 28, you'll have to pay $1K back to the seller for the month of March.

We put 20% down and our lender waived the requirement that we escrow. If you are required to (or want to) have an escrow account, 4 months of property taxes sounds about right, based on the estimate we got.

The title search charge is (I think) connected to the price of the house. We paid a bit less than $300K and our title stuff, including our owners' policy, was about $1700.

As far as pre-paying HOA fees, sorry, can't help with that. We haven't lived anywhere with an HOA in years.

FWIW, the initial estimate we got for closing costs (including pre-paids) was about $9K, which included the escrow. Our costs (including our attorney's fee) ended up at about $6200.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey