Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 06:31 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,601,463 times

Advertisements

my son is teetering on anxiety and depression am considering meeting with pediatrician to give us a note so he can be homebound taught......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Obtaining a letter from an MD or a DO, listing a diagnosis, and stating that Home Instruction is needed, is the first step.
Then, after submitting that letter--accompanied by your own letter requesting home instruction--to the local Bd of Ed, the usual procedure is for the Bd of Ed's contracted physician to phone your physician in order to discuss the case.

Typically, after this physician-to-physician consultation, home instruction is approved and can begin shortly thereafter. If home instruction is approved, your son is entitled to one hour per subject, per week.

Because few home instructors are certified in more than one subject area, you should expect multiple instructors to visit your home. Additionally, most instructors will refuse to visit unless a parent is present at the time of each visit, which is a very good policy for all concerned. Alternatively, some instructors may agree to work with your son at the local public library, rather than at your home.

However, I do want you to consider this...
Someone who is severely depressed may become more depressed and withdrawn if he does not interact with others on a regular basis.
Ergo--keeping him isolated at home for an extended period of time may not be the best thing for him. Please consider this, and discuss it with your physician.

Best of luck for your son's recovery!

Old 01-30-2012, 07:19 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Obtaining a letter from an MD or a DO, listing a diagnosis, and stating that Home Instruction is needed, is the first step.
Then, after submitting that letter--accompanied by your own letter requesting home instruction--to the local Bd of Ed, the usual procedure is for the Bd of Ed's contracted physician to phone your physician in order to discuss the case.

Typically, after this physician-to-physician consultation, home instruction is approved and can begin shortly thereafter. If home instruction is approved, your son is entitled to one hour per subject, per week.

Because few home instructors are certified in more than one subject area, you should expect multiple instructors to visit your home. Additionally, most instructors will refuse to visit unless a parent is present at the time of each visit, which is a very good policy for all concerned. Alternatively, some instructors may agree to work with your son at the local public library, rather than at your home.

However, I do want you to consider this...
Someone who is severely depressed may become more depressed and withdrawn if he does not interact with others on a regular basis.
Ergo--keeping him isolated at home for an extended period of time may not be the best thing for him. Please consider this, and discuss it with your physician.

Best of luck for your son's recovery!
That's exactly what I was thinking, but I am not a health-care professional.

Best wishes from here also for your son's recovery.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,835 times
Default anxiety and depression

Hello,

I have a son who has severe anxiety, OCD and depression. Your post does not indicate the severity of your childs condition. A pediatrician has no business writing such a note unless the answers are so blatantly clear that special education is required, such as autism, in which case, you should have your child involved in mental health facilities as well.

Depression in my sons case is a result of anxiety and OCD. He cannot eat in a cafeteria or stand to be in the halls with a bunch of other screaming kids. He beats himself up for not being able to attend not just school but other things he loves including choir, band, soccer and basketball. I have thrown the kitchen sink at him and he cannot do it, today. So he becomes a participant in special education for now.

Depression is not a reason to withdraw a kid from school. I cannot stress enough how much your kid is going to miss interacting with other kids. At one hour per week per subject versus 5, your child is going to fall behind, a lot. You are going to try to not let this happen so all of the sudden you become a home schooler. Your not a teacher are you? I hav hired nannies, tutors, sitters, the problem being that there are issues with either dependability or prejudice against mental illness they do not understand.

This has been a 2 year struggle for me. Working is a problem, your going to have to be there when the special ed teachers are there. What else can you do?

I have over 20 years as a rock star professional and now I cannot travel, my child has many mental health appointments which I have to be there for, and after throwing in the towel on hired help I am looking at the loss of my career as I have not bee able to commit full time for 3 months. Now that is what we call debilitating. You better hire some very good professional help. I went through multiple counselors before finding the "one". Good professionals are not just going to write such a note, your doctor is probably going to balk. Special ed is a great service and thank God it is there so the kids get something, but it is also a nightmare to manage if you care because depression is not an intellectual handicap and special ed is mostly targeted at intellectually handicapped kids. They get "something", but it is not anywhere near on par with what you will get in school. Is there no other choice?

Please do not take my comments as prejudicial, I do not know enough about your situation. Only a physician can write such a note, but the best physician to do that is a psychiatrist, who will be working with counselors and psychologists on the basis of testing, therapy, results, and expected near, mid and long term outcome. If your just going to your kids "doctor", you have not even come remotely close to investing the time or the right facilities to resolve this. Maybe you cannot resolve it, but before you throw in the towel on your kids academic achievement, socialization and future you better throw in the kitchen sink first.

Seriously.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:33 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeds View Post
my son is teetering on anxiety and depression am considering meeting with pediatrician to give us a note so he can be homebound taught......
"Teetering on" is not going to do the trick. Neither will a note from a pediatrician--this is a mental issue and you'll need a full psychiatric work up, then an IEP meeting--there is more to it than getting a doctors note.

Do not expect a psychiatrist or the district to agree with your request without first trying a regimen of therapy, behavior modification, and possibly medication.

Additionally there are very specific Federal laws regarding educating children in the least restrictive environment. Home bound instruction is second only to institutionalization, and both the doctor and the school district will need to make a compelling case for home bound instruction in order to meet Federal guidelines. Given the info you've provided, this will not happen.

The school instead will put him into a special ed program in either the public school or a special ed school with other kids who are classified as "ED." Your child will be classified emotionally disturbed and that label will stick--forever.

Sometimes it's wise to carefully consider what you wish for.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:52 PM

334 posts, read 731,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
"Teetering on" is not going to do the trick. Neither will a note from a pediatrician--this is a mental issue and you'll need a full psychiatric work up, then an IEP meeting--there is more to it than getting a doctors note.

Do not expect a psychiatrist or the district to agree with your request without first trying a regimen of therapy, behavior modification, and possibly medication.

Additionally there are very specific Federal laws regarding educating children in the least restrictive environment. Home bound instruction is second only to institutionalization, and both the doctor and the school district will need to make a compelling case for home bound instruction in order to meet Federal guidelines. Given the info you've provided, this will not happen.

The school instead will put him into a special ed program in either the public school or a special ed school with other kids who are classified as "ED." Your child will be classified emotionally disturbed and that label will stick--forever.

Sometimes it's wise to carefully consider what you wish for.
^ This. A "pediatrician's note" won't mean squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey