Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 PM

119 posts, read 339,291 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I was born in Long Island and moved to South Florida years ago before the big build-up down here happened. Now as an older man with a family, I realize that South Florida is not the best place to raise a family. I would like to go back up North but not necessarily to Long Island. I have heard from friends that South Jersey is a great place to raise a family and came across Tom's River in my research along with other areas around there. So I would like to hear it from those who live there. Do you think that it's a good place to raise a family? Do you feel safe? Would you still stay there if you had a choice? Or is this just a figment of my imagination that this area is good? At the end of the day I'm looking for a family oriented area where the majority of the people have good values and an area where you are close to things to do.

Your feedback is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I guess you never read Blind Faith, huh? Heh heh heh

Blind Faith maintains that to the affluent residents of Toms River, New Jersey, Marshall was a devoted family man and respected member of the community. But soon after his wife’s death, Marshall’s perfect image began to unravel as the police investigation uncovered debt, infidelity and a $1.5 million insurance policy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Faith_(book)

That was a long time ago. Just being facetious. And Robert Marshall is NJ's longest-serving criminal on death row (commuted to a life sentence a few years ago). There's some NJ trivia for you!

I do know older people (now around 70) who moved there and raised their families there. The parents now live in one of the 55+ communities in the area, and their married children and their kids all live either in Toms River or in the immediate area. They are nice, normal people, and very family-oriented.

You've got access to both Philly and NYC without being immediately in the 'burbs of either one. You've got the ocean and everything that comes with that in nearby shore towns. It's not a bad idea to look at raising your family there, IMO.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 PM

74 posts, read 304,390 times
I grew up there and you couldn't find a better spot to raise a family. I loved growing up there, as opposed to ****ty north jersey i live in now.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 10,936 times
Hey FrankieDNY,if you truely enjoy the people you liked in NY,than you will like the Jersey shore.People that are native to the Shore area,are far and few between.The quality of people varies,as does it around the country.The area of Toms River,has been influxed by what we the natives' call a BENNY.......sarcasism of course,but when I was a boy here at the shore,prices rose,the rental areas of those that came here from the north,looked like an area that renters came and didn't care.Than again,the people that thought this was God's country,changed it to what they left behind.Not all those who came here were bad,but a few,and than the change came.They brought the city to the Shore.Being born and raised here for 55 years,I've seen alot.There are people of all kinds here.Mostly,its a great place for a family,you have the Shore,the Pinelands,and more than enough activities for everyone.Just do your research,as you would anywheres else,and good luck.Your local gangs are everywheres now a days,but the local police around here are aware of their presence,and do a pretty good job,keeping it safe.The education in our schools,is very good.Good luck on your move...........

Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 PM

^^^^ You know what, though? Every place has changed, and everyone who lived somewhere and made it to their 50's is going to say that.

I grew up in a small town in Bergen County. We had no sewers, everyone had cesspools in their backyard. No curbs or sidewalks on the street. Woods across the street and behind us. People behind us kept a horse and a pony, and we had pet chickens. There was still one farm in town where some man raised sheep.

Now that same town is completely built up. There are no more woods except for a few buffer-zone patches here and there and surrounding the few parks. There are sewers and sidewalks and traffic lights and it takes forever to make a left turn.

I moved to Monmouth County two years ago. It's closer to how I grew up in that you only have to go ten minutes to get to a farm stand or an orchard or cornfields. There are horse farms nearby and there are long stretches of wooded areas not built upon. And the people who have lived here all their lives complain about how built up it's gotten and how much the place has changed.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 AM

119 posts, read 339,291 times
Thank you for the replies everyone. What about work? Are there hubs in Tom's River or do people mostly commute far distances. Also I read up that Cherry Hill is a nice area. How far is that from Tom's River and are there any areas in between those two town's that one would recommend??

As I get older, I'm just looking for a nice quiet place with access to big cities!

Thank you all!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:55 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDNY View Post
Thank you for the replies everyone. What about work? Are there hubs in Tom's River or do people mostly commute far distances. Also I read up that Cherry Hill is a nice area. How far is that from Tom's River and are there any areas in between those two town's that one would recommend??

As I get older, I'm just looking for a nice quiet place with access to big cities!

Thank you all!

Cherry Hill is probably 50 miles from TR. But most of it on 2 lane roads through the Pine Barrens. There is Lakehurst in Ocean County and then Medford and Pemberton in Burlington County. Mostly Pine Barrents between the 2 towns. Cherry Hill is definatly a suburb of Philadelphia wheras Toms River doesn't really fit with NYC or Philadelphia. You get TV from both cities on cable.

I grew up in Pt Pleasant Beach. Close to NYC and Philly. Most good paying jobs require a commute to Central/North Jersey or New York. I guess Philly is possibly but the infrasturcture supports commuting to the North( ie NJ Coast Line Train goes to Bay Head from NYC.

Ocean County is a great area to grow up. Lots of water( Ocean and Bay) so you have swimming, surfing, boating, fishing etc. Summer traffic can be brutal.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:07 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,747 times
I grew up in the area. Its great. Beach, sun, parks, open space etc. And I commuted from Pt Pleasant Station for 2 years after graduating from college as I lived with my folks. That commute was BRUTAL. It was 2 hours for me door to door to Newark.

Lots of folks like to live down there because you can get a 3k sq ft brick facade McMansion for less than 400k, but the commute is just not worth it. Only a good idea to me if you work in the area.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:09 PM

513 posts, read 1,166,937 times
I've lived in Northern NJ all my life and was considering a move to Toms River. A friend of mine who is in law enforcement advised me to google "sex offenders Toms River NJ" and compare these numbers to other NJ towns. I was absolutely shocked to see how many sex offenders live in Toms River and I'm not sure why that is.....just an FYI from someone who cares about who her neighbors may be. Good luck in finding your new home.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne10 View Post
I've lived in Northern NJ all my life and was considering a move to Toms River. A friend of mine who is in law enforcement advised me to google "sex offenders Toms River NJ" and compare these numbers to other NJ towns. I was absolutely shocked to see how many sex offenders live in Toms River and I'm not sure why that is.....just an FYI from someone who cares about who her neighbors may be. Good luck in finding your new home.
Maybe because it's so big? Isn't Toms River something like the 7th largest town in NJ? It stands to reason they'd have more sex offenders just because the population is bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey