U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 07:17 PM

2,665 posts, read 4,973,111 times

Advertisements

The steady hot water flow in my apartment only lasts 2-3 min before I have to adjust it again or it gets cold. I thought there is something wrong with the shower, but the maintenance person checked it out and told me everyone has it like that and you just gotta keep adjusting the flow to make sure it doesn't get cold every few min, which is very irritating. To add to the problem after about 10 min, the hot water is done all together so you can't really take your time in the shower, and same with this-can't be fixed, since this is how the whole complex operates (or I am told). It's a pretty old apartment complex and not very expensive, but shouldn't I still be entitled to normal hot water flow? When I signed the lease nobody said the water would need to be adjusted every 2 min and it's only enough for a fast shower, not even mentioning filling in the tub, which is impossible anyway, since that mechanism doesn't work either (the one that keeps the water in the tub) The question is if this is how it is, why should I pay the full amount of rent for non full service? Shouldn't I ask for reduction of rent or something? I can deal with these issues, but I don't feel that I should pay what I pay now, as if I knew this before I wouldn't have agreed to the lease to begin with. I will check with other residents to make sure that's how they got it so I know I wasn't lied to, but considering they have it the same, what are my options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,330,304 times
File a complaint with the housing authority and see if they follow up and force them to fix it.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM

831 posts, read 2,441,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
The steady hot water flow in my apartment only lasts 2-3 min before I have to adjust it again or it gets cold. I thought there is something wrong with the shower, but the maintenance person checked it out and told me everyone has it like that and you just gotta keep adjusting the flow to make sure it doesn't get cold every few min, which is very irritating. To add to the problem after about 10 min, the hot water is done all together so you can't really take your time in the shower, and same with this-can't be fixed, since this is how the whole complex operates (or I am told). It's a pretty old apartment complex and not very expensive, but shouldn't I still be entitled to normal hot water flow? When I signed the lease nobody said the water would need to be adjusted every 2 min and it's only enough for a fast shower, not even mentioning filling in the tub, which is impossible anyway, since that mechanism doesn't work either (the one that keeps the water in the tub) The question is if this is how it is, why should I pay the full amount of rent for non full service? Shouldn't I ask for reduction of rent or something? I can deal with these issues, but I don't feel that I should pay what I pay now, as if I knew this before I wouldn't have agreed to the lease to begin with. I will check with other residents to make sure that's how they got it so I know I wasn't lied to, but considering they have it the same, what are my options?

You don't have a case. This happened in every apt. i've ever lived in. The hot water can't last forever unless you have a brand new water heater. It should last a bit more than 2 mins, but it always eventually gets cold. As far as the tub stopper, you'll have to buy a water plug at any store to keep it in, that's common sense if the lever doesn't work. Get the suction kind that covers the drain completed and holds the water in. The apt. is old, can't expect modern quality. You can forget about having your rent reduced over that. Maybe complain and ask for the lever to be fixed, but the water isn't gonna change unless they change out the water heaters which nobody does until they break altogether. Move after the lease is up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey