Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:16 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The recent census data shows that the Hispanic population shrunk between 2000-2010 while the African American and Asian (Arab) population grew.
Nexis, that's NOT what the Census Bureau states. If you look it up on wikipedia's website (they get it right from the Census Bureau) Passaic, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia you will see that the percentage of Hispanics from 2000 to 2010 increased from 62.46% to 71.02%. Also, the African-American population DECLINED In Passaic to 10.64% of the population. This is down from almost 14% in 2000. Nexis, where did you get your information from?

However, the time that Passaic began to decline, the 1960's, is about accurate. You (Nexis) do have a point that the suburbanization of America had something to do with the decline of Passaic. However, it was also partially due to the decline in manufacturing jobs over the years and the growth of large shopping malls in suburban municipalities.

My grandfather grew up there in the 1930's. He told me it was kinda nice, though always blue-collar. The part that he grew up on, east of downtown near the river was described as full of tenements and recent arrivals from Eastern Europe (according to the 1930's WPA literature). However, slightly run-down it was in those days must not compare too well with how terrible it looks now. I drove down one street looking for the old house that he grew up in. Not only was it not there...NOTHING seemed to be there. I looked around for numbers on the buildings and street names when someone walked right up to my car and knocked on the window! Scared the you-know-what out of me and I never drove down that way again.

Anyway, so there is a new mall going up on Market and Passaic streets??? Do you have any additional information on that proposal? I am very curious to hear more!

As for Passaic Park, the southwestern corner of the city, it seemed OK. It did not look too different from Clifton. I did notice a large Jewish community remaining in the area. It was downtown and especially the area to the east that was pretty terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 AM

22 posts, read 44,710 times
Is the sky blue? In other news, grass is green.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:41 AM

478 posts, read 1,229,530 times
I have optimistic visions of the old buildings along the river being converted into condos as the Passaic gets cleaner. The Mill in Little Falls is a great example of a successful conversion. Obviously you need buyers to fill the spaces.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
I have optimistic visions of the old buildings along the river being converted into condos as the Passaic gets cleaner. The Mill in Little Falls is a great example of a successful conversion. Obviously you need buyers to fill the spaces.
Those being in Little Falls rather then Paterson had a lot to do with them being successful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey