Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 584 times

Advertisements

I have converted from oil to gas recently. A new tank and water heater were installed but the piping has not changed. However, the way water is heating has changed a lot. Even after I run it to get hot water and then in half an hour it is again cold. I need to let it run again. With oil after the first delay in the morning I would get hot water almost instantly.

I cannot blame the piping. This must be the new unit. I got a 40 gal tank. I was told that I had 34 gal. With oil I usually set the temperature on 110F. Now it was set to 140F and the delay was 2 minutes as measured by the installer. I even asked him to lower this setting because it was burning hot. The delay remains the same.
What can be the reason? Is it a bad model of the water heater? I would appreciate comments and suggestions while I am still dealing with the heating guy.
Now I am even afraid to convert my heating unit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 AM

289 posts, read 608,308 times
Could it be that the installer removed some kind of insulation over the hot water pipes during the install of the new heater? In any case, if the hot water pipes are exposed, you can try covering them with some kind of insulation so that you can get hot water sooner.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:03 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
You should ask the installer if the old unit had a hot water recirculating pump. Some old units have these (they were designed to work that way) and you can also retrofit one into the house. Basically what the pump did was keep hot water circulating through the pipes which allowed for that near "instant on" hot water once the system got started in the morning. These systems were also terribly inefficient energy wise. What you are describing is basically how a "non-recirculating" system works.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:42 PM

527 posts, read 1,408,659 times
It is not the gas conversion.
Heat is heat from any source.
It's your new water heater

What you describe I think is normal for hot water in a house.
many new water heaters even have a energy saving function where if there is no recent usage, it turns down the heat and keeps the water in the tank a lower temp on standby, like tuning down your thermostat at night.
then when someone opens a tap, it turns up the heat

You may have been spoiled by a very convenient but very energy wasteful hot water system

If you want the same convienent hot water with energy savings, look at a point of use tankless water heating system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey