Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 AM

167 posts, read 310,654 times

Advertisements

Once again NJ is trying to take away the privacy of birth parents who chose adoption.

If you believe every privacy statement you read, if you had an abortion, are a sperm or egg donor, had an expungement if you believe your medical records are private don't. Your privacy can be taken away and can be taken away retroactively. That is what this bill does.

If you are for woman's reproductive rights, if you are pro choice or pro life please send an email to your legislature. We shouldn't be taking choices away from woman. Closed adoption is a viable choice. Which one of these adoptees wanting a birth certificate might not be here if their birth mother knew years later her identity would be known?
You can have privacy if you choose abortion.
You can have privacy if you do not seek medical care have a child in a hotel room and drop the child off at a safe haven.
However this bill will take the privacy away from a woman who chooses to go to an adoption agency gets the medical care she needs and then places the child in the loving hands of adoptive parents.
Last year Gov. Christie conditionally vetoed the bill. He bellieved birth parents were not protected enough and changed the bill to mutual consent. Our legislature would not pass it. The adoption reform organizations are able to organize, speak out, and lobby in Trenton. Birthparents who want privacy can not without giving up their privacy.

It should be about mutual consent. No one adoptee would be here without a birth parent.
Please contact your NJ legislature and tell them to vote no on S832 if you believe woman should have a choice of closed adoption.

New Jersey Legislature - Find Your Legislator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,105 times
And what if the adopted child has a medical issue and needs medical histories that kight not have been provided? What if the adopted child finds that he/she has a genetic disease and wants to warn her birth parents that they are carriers.

Let's be honest here...in this day and age regardless of whether it is open or closed, mutual consent or not if someone wants to find you they will. This is just maiing it easier on the children who will probably have a lot of questions.

Even in a closed adoption with the current laws, you are kidding yourself if you think that an adopted child who wants to find their birth parents are not going to be able to do it.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
And what if the adopted child has a medical issue and needs medical histories that kight not have been provided? What if the adopted child finds that he/she has a genetic disease and wants to warn her birth parents that they are carriers.
these are absolutely ridiculous points (especially the second one). i dont see how a child has any right to the medical history of the birth parents if the parents dont wish to disclose it.

with regard to people finding them anyway, thats a possibility but there is no reason why the law should assist in such activity.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Let's be honest here...in this day and age regardless of whether it is open or closed, mutual consent or not if someone wants to find you they will. This is just maiing it easier on the children who will probably have a lot of questions.

Even in a closed adoption with the current laws, you are kidding yourself if you think that an adopted child who wants to find their birth parents are not going to be able to do it.

Governor Christie's answer to medical information. You can still go to court for medical information. His mutual consent has an intermediary no identifying information.

As far as the rest of your statement. We need to protect any privacy we have. I mean any not just in adoption as more and more of it is being stripped away. Agreed with previous poster not make it easy.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,134 times
Let's first ban all the adoption mills... the fake-Christian adoption agencies that pressure vulnerable young women to give up their child so the child can have a "better life" rather than providing job training, affordable housing, and teaching parenting skills so the kid can stay with his mother. They are nothing better than child abduction agencies.

How can anyone let their child go and not wish to someday be reunited with their flesh and blood?

Opponents of this bill are trying to protect the adoptive parents... it is not about protecting the privacy of "birth mothers." Anyone who uses the term "birth mother" is a proponent of the adoption industry which steals children away from their mothers and fathers.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Let's first ban all the adoption mills... the fake-Christian adoption agencies that pressure vulnerable young women to give up their child so the child can have a "better life" rather than providing job training, affordable housing, and teaching parenting skills so the kid can stay with his mother. They are nothing better than child abduction agencies.
there are agencies that take children from mothers against their will and give them to other people?

Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post

How can anyone let their child go and not wish to someday be reunited with their flesh and blood?

Opponents of this bill are trying to protect the adoptive parents... it is not about protecting the privacy of "birth mothers." Anyone who uses the term "birth mother" is a proponent of the adoption industry which steals children away from their mothers and fathers.
You are so wrong on every point.
Adoption mills may have been in the past. It is so easy to have an abortion now adays most girls choose abortion. The birth parents I know chose adoption because they believed their child would have a better life then by being raised by a single teen mom without a job and so they could go on with their lives. The adopted members in my family actually did have a great life. No one puts a gun to a teen mom's head to walk into an adoption clinic. Even after the baby is born she doesn't have to sign the papers. If she can't stand up to the adoption agency pressuring her she isn't going to make a great parent standing up for her kid. All you have to do is watch MTV teen moms and Dr. Phil and realize adoption is a good choice in some instances. Drug addicted mothers, angry, arrested mothers, mothers who have grandparents raising their children, still supporting them instead of going to school or getting a job. They are some of the lucky ones they have MTV paying them imagine being 16 no skills and a baby to take care of.

Secondly the gov't other than hiring a nanny for the birth mother and the child does provide help. It is called welfare, headstart, medicaid, and the out reach programs that not only teach parenting skills but also train birth parents for a job or help them apply to community college. They even send someone in from social services to teach you to take care of the child and to give the mother a break to go shopping etc. You have to look for it.

How can any one let their child go? Everyone is different. Some people can have an abortion some never would. Some have an abortion and never have an after thought. Others have difficulty with that decision for years. The same is true with adoption. Why would you want to take a choice away from a woman who is willing to give a child a chance at life for whatever her reasoning is.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:23 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,105 times
Really...I would absolutely think that I am entitled to know the medical history of my parents and what genetic issues I might have or what I may someday pass on to my children. Do you know the medical histories of your biological parents...and if they had a genetic disorder that could effect your children or future children would you not want to know?

The bottom line is most adoptions today are open (and I know the facts because I recently looked into adoption) and this point will be mute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
these are absolutely ridiculous points (especially the second one). i dont see how a child has any right to the medical history of the birth parents if the parents dont wish to disclose it.

with regard to people finding them anyway, thats a possibility but there is no reason why the law should assist in such activity.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Really...I would absolutely think that I am entitled to know the medical history of my parents and what genetic issues I might have or what I may someday pass on to my children. Do you know the medical histories of your biological parents...and if they had a genetic disorder that could effect your children or future children would you not want to know?

The bottom line is most adoptions today are open (and I know the facts because I recently looked into adoption) and this point will be mute...
i dont really see why you think you are entitled to know that. your parents have the right to keep their medical information private if they so choose. of course, most wouldnt keep it from their children but its their choice.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
Personally I think the medical records argument is simply an excuse to try and get the names of the parents released to the child. I wonder if people will be happy if this passes and we see an increase in abortions and a decrease in adoptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey