Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times

Advertisements

Per Realist for Essex County:

Single Family Homes:

2010 Median Home Price: $320,000 based on 3,759 sales
2011 Median Home Price: $320,000 based on 3,230 sales

Condominiums:

2010 Median Home Price: $303,750 based on 618 sales
2011 Median Home Price: $305,750 based on 470 sales

It does look like we have reached bottom, at least in Essex County, unless something new changes things. Jobs numbers are now improving also. Should be an interesting Spring and Summer to see if the data holds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
I've noticed a lot more homes pop up for sale this winter also, which I could interpret to mean people are seeing the trends and believe they have better chances to sell. I guess it could also mean people are in trouble and need to sell, but they aren't those types of homes.

If these two homes near my house could sell, my immediate area would be in fairly good shape. One is a short sale that's been on the market for nearly 2.25 years now though. Really wish someone would buy that one already, as it seems to be hurting the prospects for the house 2 doors down that's for sale and is quite nice.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
I hope the housing market has really stabilized. But have heard it sooo many times from NAR since 2009 that now it seems too good to be credible.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:20 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,348 times
Job number improving? I must have missed that.

It is easy to have improving job numbers if you don't include the frustrated people no longer counting as looking for work. Check the labor participation rate and tell me job numbers are improving.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:06 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post

It is easy to have improving job numbers if you don't include the frustrated people no longer counting as looking for work. Check the labor participation rate and tell me job numbers are improving.

Need to look at everything. Yes, more discouraged workers is bad. But the number of people employed is at a 3-year high -- that is good.

http://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/ceshighlights.pdf

Old 02-07-2012, 10:10 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Need to look at everything. Yes, more discouraged workers is bad. But the number of people employed is at a 3-year high -- that is good.

http://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/ceshighlights.pdf
how does that factor in with the natural growth of the labor force? everyone is trying to spin the numbers one way or another, its hard to get an honest interpretation from either side.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:15 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:

I dont know anybody who stopped looking for work if they needed a job.... If you do that and have no way to support yourself, I don't even know what to say because that is extremely irresponsible.

If it becomes easier for those actually seeking employment to get a job, i am all for it and I think its a good thing.

We also need to consider the labor force is going to be naturally shrinking. Baby boomers are reaching 65 (as well as 62). World war 2 ended 67 years ago this month. Consider 9 months of pregnancy and do the math

Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
By any chance do you have these numbers excluding Newark, East Orange, Orange, and Irvington?

Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I dont know anybody who stopped looking for work if they needed a job.... If you do that and have no way to support yourself, I don't even know what to say because that is extremely irresponsible.

If it becomes easier for those actually seeking employment to get a job, i am all for it and I think its a good thing.

We also need to consider the labor force is going to be naturally shrinking. Baby boomers are reaching 65 (as well as 62). World war 2 ended 67 years ago this month. Consider 9 months of pregnancy and do the math
leaving the work force can happen in different ways, not all being irresponsible. you can have early retirement, women deciding to become stay at home mothers, people going back to school, etc.

things seem relatively stable in the world right now, but all that can change fast.

i know the baby boomers retiring will be taking from the work force. also, i know that every year people graduate school and start working. im not sure what each number is at this point.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:26 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:

labor participation rate is dropping for a number of reasons. one is that boomers are retiring. another is the 2010 census data updated the BLS statistics. the job number has improved, but it needs to get better, no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey