Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times

Advertisements

I don't understand is Chris Christie also trying to change the name of Rutgers-Newark like he is trying to do in South Jersey in regards to Rutgers-Camden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:24 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,550 times
I attended NJIT 15 year ago. Even the campus wasn't safe back then. While you should be careful, it's so much better than it used to be. There were NO safe areas in Newark back then.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,079 times
I live in the area.It's a great school.Not far from UMDNJ(one of the best dental schools in America).So the there is more police presence.As for living arrangements. The best thing to do is to live in a dorm with other students and travel safe hours.It's alot of housing specifically for students,or rent a room from the area and travel to school.The area is not as bad as it use to be.Kids walk themselves to school,people jog and walk there dogs.But if you know how to carry yourself ,you will be fine.A few rules to follow.#1 Don't be overly friendly.#2 Stay on well lit streets.#3 be aware of your surroundings.Can't be naive,but I'm sure you'll be fine.the schools are safe.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:14 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Carry a knife with you when you're outside campus.

Someone is a bit dramatic.....

Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindication15 View Post
you better keep that car super locked up in a garage somewhere

Newark carjackings rise for 3rd straight year | NJ.com

in ironbound - small theft and car jacking
outside ironbound - death

good luck in school!
We Newarkers laugh at people like you.
Areas like Lincoln Park, Ivy Hill, Downtown, and parts of the North Ward(Ex: Forest Hill) are safe.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:45 PM

181 posts, read 378,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindication15 View Post
you better keep that car super locked up in a garage somewhere

Newark carjackings rise for 3rd straight year | NJ.com

in ironbound - small theft and car jacking
outside ironbound - death

good luck in school!
I love how you made Newark seem like a scene out of Escape from New York.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM

880 posts, read 1,251,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
We Newarkers laugh at people like you.
Areas like Lincoln Park, Ivy Hill, Downtown, and parts of the North Ward(Ex: Forest Hill) are safe.
IVY HILL??? Wow, I guess some things DO change for the better.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
I've spent a great deal of time in Newark and I don't think it's safe, even in the NJIT area. Sure there is both Newark and Campus police, but incidents still happen, a lot. If you are taking the train then you don't need to worry about your car being broken into, vandalized or stolen, which is probably the most likely thing that you should worry about. But make no mistake, there are still plenty of "strong armed robberies" in the area of the campus, and there are also plenty of vagrants who harass you if you don't give them something.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
IVY HILL??? Wow, I guess some things DO change for the better.

Yeah, Ivy Hill is pretty quiet in some parts. Crime isn't as bad as it use to be.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I do recommend the train though. You can catch the lightrail subway directly from the train station to the campuses.
Yes, and the OP can get a student pass on whatever NJT commuter train (or bus) they're taking and they can ride the light rail for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey