Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 AM

33 posts, read 72,282 times

Advertisements

Is the Christie Administration enforcing a Corzine I believe lame duck era law requiring young drivers to have 2 red decals on the licence plate?

If so why would a Governor who beat and loathed Corzine enforce such a law ie Kyleigh's law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 10:54 AM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman123 View Post
Is the Christie Administration enforcing a Corzine I believe lame duck era law requiring young drivers to have 2 red decals on the licence plate?

If so why would a Governor who beat and loathed Corzine enforce such a law ie Kyleigh's law?

Just like all laws that are named for a deceased child, there are parents for whom this is an issue, or perhaps even a cause celebre.
Just because a particular statute became law under a previous administration, that does not necessarily mean that a new administration has a reason to nullify it.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
The law's still in effect as far as I know, but I haven't seen the decals in a very long time... either there's no new drivers or the law is very poorly enforced.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The law's still in effect as far as I know, but I haven't seen the decals in a very long time... either there's no new drivers or the law is very poorly enforced.
Really?
I see some almost every day!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
Still do not understand how this works. If my kids uses my car sometimes, do I have to have a red sticker there all of the time? If my 17 year old and 25 year old share a car, what happens when the 25 year old is out late with the car and the sticker is there?

Guess this law was written by rich people who think every kid has his own car?

Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
i believe the sticker is removable.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
Still do not understand how this works. If my kids uses my car sometimes, do I have to have a red sticker there all of the time? If my 17 year old and 25 year old share a car, what happens when the 25 year old is out late with the car and the sticker is there?

Guess this law was written by rich people who think every kid has his own car?
Tahiti's response, below, is correct--to the best of my knowledge:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i believe the sticker is removable.

My recollection is that these "stickers" are attached with Velcro (or something similar), and thus can be readily removed and then re-attached.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Tahiti's response, below, is correct--to the best of my knowledge:

My recollection is that these "stickers" are attached with Velcro (or something similar), and thus can be readily removed and then re-attached.

That works in theory. But most people (if they use them in the first place) forget to take them off and on. I guess the intentions were fine, but the law is simply not workable.

And I still think there are legitimate concerns that the red stickers easily identifies young victims for predators.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
That works in theory. But most people (if they use them in the first place) forget to take them off and on. I guess the intentions were fine, but the law is simply not workable.

And I still think there are legitimate concerns that the red stickers easily identifies young victims for predators.
The girl for whom this law is named lived in my town. There was a tremendous amount of grief over the loss of those 2 lives here for a long time afterwards. I can sympathize with a mother who tries to turn unfathomable grief into some positive action. I understand the genesis of the law, and concerns. I don't have kids driving age yet so my overall feelings are not fully formed yet.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:28 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
The girl for whom this law is named lived in my town. There was a tremendous amount of grief over the loss of those 2 lives here for a long time afterwards. I can sympathize with a mother who tries to turn unfathomable grief into some positive action. I understand the genesis of the law, and concerns. I don't have kids driving age yet so my overall feelings are not fully formed yet.
I agree 100% with the intentions of the law. But I can tell you that I don't like sending my 17 year-old daughter out with a red sticker telling the world that she is 17. To me, it's just too easy for a predator to look for red stickers in a parking lot and wait. So if she is going to the mall or movies, I instruct her to disobey the law and remove the decals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey