Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 01:26 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,944 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a single male in his late 20's. Where is a good place to live in NJ with ability to commute into Manhattan's Financial District?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:54 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Hi,

I am a single male in his late 20's. Where is a good place to live in NJ with ability to commute into Manhattan's Financial District?

Thanks
Please provide some more information. This question is way too broad.

50,000 people per day commute into Manhattan's financial district via the PATH train into the WTC. Thousands more take buses to the same area. A few drive. Others take the ferry from the Highlands and Sandy Hook areas. These people are coming from many different towns in NJ. There are many, many places with "the ability" to commute into lower Manhattan.

So exactly what is "a good place" to you? Urban? Suburban? Near the shore? Up north closer to the NYS line? Do you have a budget and is it a realistic one for New Jersey prices?

There's a sticky at the top of the page. Maybe some of the questions will help you get a handle on what you are looking for and then people can give you pertinent information.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:18 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Please provide some more information. This question is way too broad.

50,000 people per day commute into Manhattan's financial district via the PATH train into the WTC. Thousands more take buses to the same area. A few drive. Others take the ferry from the Highlands and Sandy Hook areas. These people are coming from many different towns in NJ. There are many, many places with "the ability" to commute into lower Manhattan.

So exactly what is "a good place" to you? Urban? Suburban? Near the shore? Up north closer to the NYS line? Do you have a budget and is it a realistic one for New Jersey prices?

There's a sticky at the top of the page. Maybe some of the questions will help you get a handle on what you are looking for and then people can give you pertinent information.
I don't want to spend more then 2200 per month, and I want a 1 bedroom not a studio

I want someplace safe, I want a place that is fun and vibrant
I would prefer someplace urban, and I would prefer to be able to take public transportation, and not need a car at least for the commute to NYC.

I would also prefer a commute of less then 1 hour

The 3 main things I want in order of importance are: 1. vibrant fun with nightlife and restaurantes 2. safe 3. fast <1 hour commute into NYC

THanks!

Last edited by hartford_renter; 02-11-2012 at 08:28 PM..

Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I don't want to spend more then 2200 per month, and I want a 1 bedroom not a studio

I want someplace safe, I want a place that is fun and vibrant
I would prefer someplace urban, and I would prefer to be able to take public transportation, and not need a car at least for the commute to NYC.

I would also prefer a commute of less then 1 hour

The 3 main things I want in order of importance are: 1. vibrant fun with nightlife and restaurantes 2. safe 3. fast <1 hour commute into NYC

THanks!
Then you sound as though you want to live in Hoboken! It's known for its nightlife and restaurants, and there are a lot of people in your age group living there.

It's the "mile-square city", so it's small in area, but it's urban population-and-building-wise. You could find something decent there on your budget, and it's right across the river from Manhattan. You don't need a car. As a matter of fact, having a car in Hoboken would be a royal pita and an expense. It's safe, and it's one of the shortest possible commutes you could have from NJ to NYC. Hoboken Terminal at the southern end of town is where many of the NJ Transit train lines come in to connect with PATH, the rapid rail transit system that runs through the tubes under the river to several stops in Manhattan. You could walk there from most parts of Hoboken, and there are also buses outside the terminal. In addition, there is ferry service from Hoboken to Manhattan.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at 1 BR apts for up to $2200 in Hoboken and got this list.

http://www.realtor.com/homesforrent/.../price-na-2200

Interestingly, I forgot to enter the $2200 the first time--there are some nice apartments in Hoboken available for $12,000 per month, if anyone is looking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey