Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM

7 posts, read 28,038 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm moving with my family from Secaucus to Bergen county and we are deciding between two houses: a very old but nice house in Ridgewood, close to willard school and within walking distance to the Ho-Ho-Kus train station; and a gorgeous ranch in Ramsey, close to the Ramsey - Route 17 train station. I'd prefer taking the Shortline bus, anybody knows if this bus stops near the Ramsey-route 17 train station? that stop is not in the timetable information, but the realtor says the bus stop is very close... anyone knows exactly where?
I'd also appreciate any other feedback or comments comparing the two towns: Schools, sense of community and a bit of diversity (I'm from Colombia, south america, and my husband is french) are factors to be considered.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,161 times
Ridgewood and Ho-Ho-Kus have one of the best school systems in NJ. It's also very expensive.

Ramsey has very good schools as well, but it's far from the city.

I am also looking at those areas.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:56 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
You can't go wrong with either. Both are great towns. Ridgewood is considered to have slightly better schools but keep in mind you are comparing 2 VERY good systems and any difference will most likely not be noticeable to you, your kids, or anyone who doesn't read the NJ Monthly list. The bus stop, I think, is on Wyckoff Ave and Franklin Tpke. The only reason I know this is because our OB was in Ramsey and I had to take the bus there once. I remember because my wife was waiting for me at another location and of course it was my fault for the bus not being where she thought it would be.

As for sense of community that will vary by the block in both towns. Ridgewood has a central downtown and a pool( which I'm a member of and it's grayt...see the pool info for spelling reference). Ridgewood is closer to the city but has more congestion because people from surrounding towns all come there. I live in the town next door and have friends who live in both... they are both happy.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM

667 posts, read 1,744,342 times
I'm much more familiar with Ridgewood than Ramsey although both towns have excellent reputations. Schools perform very well. I would consider Ridgewood to be a bit wealthier town but it's also fairly diverse as it's almost 2x the size of Ramsey. Ramsey is much more rural IMO where Ridgewood is a bit more compact -- smaller lots, less land overall. Ramsey has an upstate NY feel to me.
Where is your commute? NYC? Because that extra 15-20 minutes a day each way would add up real quick for me. As a fellow Colombiano in Glen Rock I can tell you that I love the area and have taken advantage of the Ramsey farmers market, eat often in Ridgewood and overall you can't go wrong either way. It comes down to what you can afford and a bit more of lifestyle (more land/lot, less taxes vs walk to everything downtown)

Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Both towns have trains that express to Hoboken (or you can switch at Secaucus). Just FYI for commuting choices. Trip-wise, Ramsey is not that much further than Ridgewood.

OP--currently reading a Ridgewood History book with a lot of pics of old houses and the town from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Most of the towns have these, but if you choose Ridgewood, I suggest you pick it up. Fascinating to see what is familiar from 100 years ago and what is completely different. Ridgewood has some gorgeous old homes.

You might get a bit more diversity in Ridgewood, but it shouldn't be a big difference. With the hospital such a big part of the town's identity, you've got doctors from all over the world working there. As a matter of fact, my long-time family doctor was Colombian and lived in Ridgewood until he retired to Florida two years ago.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Either way, go get yourself some great thin crust pizza at Kinchley's!

Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Either way, go get yourself some great thin crust pizza at Kinchley's!
She does that and she'll pick Ramsey hands down! My family is seriously addicted to their bar pie

Old 02-14-2012, 02:33 PM

7 posts, read 28,038 times
Thanks for your input and good luck. Let me know as you make more progess on settling on which town.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:34 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
She does that and she'll pick Ramsey hands down! My family is seriously addicted to their bar pie
Wow, used to go there years and years ago.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:37 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,410 times
http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...usSchedule.pdf
Ramsey (Route 17 & Lake Street)

I wouldn't describe Ramsey as rural, especially the area around the train station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey