Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,219 times

Advertisements

Essex county has people who talk down on it constantly.

I think it will rise and become one of the most prosperous parts of the state.

Being so close to NYC, towns like Irvington, Newark, Orange, and East Orange will rise and become better than ever.

Can you picture Essex County becoming like Hudson County?
People continuously compare Hudson to Manhattan. Some Nyers even call it the 6th borough.

Imagine Essex county with that much energy and life running through it.

Imagine Essex county becoming the hotspot that everybody recommends you check out.

BQ: Where do you think Camden will be in the next 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
I'm imagining Essex County tipping over the edge -- heading into a spiral where falling property values result in rising taxes which result in falling property values and abandoned properties which result in more rising taxes, etc. West Orange is poised to go next.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I'm imagining Essex County tipping over the edge -- heading into a spiral where falling property values result in rising taxes which result in falling property values and abandoned properties which result in more rising taxes, etc. West Orange is poised to go next.

What will cause this tip over the edge you speak about?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
-The Urban Renewal boom accelerating in Newark , which has over 25 mixed used / income projects underway...and by 2020 including 4 more high rises...

-East Orange and Orange starting there Urban Renewal plans , both have 10 projects underway , mixed used / income

-Bloomfield finally starting its Downtown Renewal plan which calls for new middle income housing , new retail , upgraded station , and more open space

-Bus Rapid Transit being built along Bloomfield and Mount Prospect ave

-Ridership on the Newark bus , LRT and Regional Rail division breaking 600,000

-I can't see Essex county being a hotspot for another 20 years , Hudson , Bergen and Union County absorb most of the fame...

-

Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
-The Urban Renewal boom accelerating in Newark , which has over 25 mixed used / income projects underway...and by 2020 including 4 more high rises...

-East Orange and Orange starting there Urban Renewal plans , both have 10 projects underway , mixed used / income

-Bloomfield finally starting its Downtown Renewal plan which calls for new middle income housing , new retail , upgraded station , and more open space

-Ridership on the Newark bus , LRT and Regional Rail division breaking 600,000

-I can't see Essex county being a hotspot for another 20 years , Hudson , Bergen and Union County absorb most of the fame...

-
People always seem to talk down on these mixed use/ income developments. I'm curious to see how they are going to turn out.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

Hmm, what's this all about?

I also want to know about the upgraded Bloomfield Station?

Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 PM

595 posts, read 1,557,913 times
as long as they have all those projects and people associated with it..dont expect much changes!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
While I don't think it will be "like Hudson County" as far as Hoboken, Downtown Jersey City, Edgewater, Weehawken, etc...I think it's doing just fine. I live in West Orange and must say that the complex at the Turtle Back Zoo is really coming together nicely. I really think it will continue to improve. I was surprised at how "young" West Orange's residents are, given the school populations. As more boomers retire and relocate, I think more young people will move in and change many of these cities. East Orange, Orange, and Newark have some improvements to make, but even comparing to what they were 10 years ago there are huge improvements.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
What will cause this tip over the edge you speak about?
Costs going up naturally. Businesses failing as a result of the continued downturn, causing commercial vacancies. Any ill-fated and expensive government initiative.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:01 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Hey, it could happen--would be nice to see our largest city improve.

But--the lowlifes and gangs and the dredges of humanity who reside in these places--where do you suppose they will go? What places will spiral downward as Essex County rises?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey