Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times

Advertisements

I know we've got some amazing real estate professionals on this board so I wanted to get your take on something.

My brother-in-law just got his house reassessed and the assessment is really high. He is contesting the assessment and considering options. Here s the situation:

He bought his house in 2005 in Passaic County, it was an estate sale. It was a 2BR 1BA. The house was basically a knock down. Instead of knocking it down he built a new house on top of the old one. He has since added a 2nd floor with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, all unfinished. There are no fixtures in the 2 new bathrooms, only roughing is in and there is no heat set up for the 2nd floor. However everything else is finished(sheetrock, paint, floors, etc.)

From my understanding this means he is still technically in a 2BR 1BA home and the tax assessment should be based on that. Is this correct?

Another interesting fact is that his house is next to a river. His property is NOT classified as a flood zone however the river has severely overflowed it's banks twice in the past 5 years, surrounding his house in almost 2 feet of water each time. Apparently this is the first time flooding has happened in over 50 years. He has never filed an insurance claim for flooding and is not required to carry flood insurance. He actually never had any flood damage because he has managed to keep the basement with only a couple inches of water in it each time by using massive pool draining pumps hooked up to generators.

Obviously if he pushed to have his house classified in a flood zone or if it happened on it's own( by way of FEMA or other agency assessment) I'm sure it would have an effect on the assessed value.

I know it is much harder to sell a house in a flood zone, but how much harder? Also how much of a value hit does this designation typically put on a property?

Any professional advice is much appreciated and let me know if you need more information. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 02-23-2012 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 02:16 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I know we've got some amazing real estate professionals on this board so I wanted to get your take on something.

My brother-in-law just got his house reassessed and the assessment is really high. He is contesting the assessment and considering options. Here s the situation:

He bought his house in 2005 in Passaic County, it was an estate sale. It was a 2BR 1BA. The house was basically a knock down. Instead of knocking it down he built a new house on top of the old one. He has since added a 2nd floor with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, all unfinished. There are no fixtures in the 2 new bathrooms, only roughing is in and there is no heat set up for the 2nd floor. However everything else is finished(sheetrock, paint, floors, etc.)

From my understanding this means he is still technically in a 2BR 1BA home and the tax assessment should be based on that. Is this correct?
I am not professional, but base on the tax I see from my neighbors is that you bro in law should have knock down the house instead of adding an addition to the existing home.

I just going to use my home for example. The previous owners did what your brother did, and when the house was completed, the tax increased 50%.

The house right next to mine, same size lot, and a bit bigger house, knocked down the old home and rebuild it. Tax gone up just a tiny bit.

Both house work were done around the same time.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Thanks. I've heard arguments for both, but I thought the general consensus was that, unless there is a tax abatement, taxes on New construction are much higher than a renovation. Kind of a moot point though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey