Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Urban Jersey meed a supertall?
YES 22 42.31%
NO 30 57.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:38 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,322,579 times

Advertisements

It'll happen eventually [to JC] as space starts to run out in Manhattan island, Manhattan real estate keeps soaring even more and the economy improves. Well, maybe not a "SuperTall" for a while but some pretty huge projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:01 PM

88,373 posts, read 84,430,248 times
A supertall in Newark probably won't happen simply because of the airport.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Thats my Home base , been a member since i was 14 - Aug 2005 (Original account) and 16 - Aug 2007 (Current account). So I use that site for mainly posting pictures ,and discussing things. I look around the world from that site into other countries from the safety of my laptop. I also belong to Skyscraperpage which is the older sister of SSC , i joined there in 2009. SSP is more detailed disccusion , they also sell things through various stories...

I joined WiredNY back in 2009 , WNY is a regional SSC/SSP....
I found it a couple of years ago when I was doing work related to the WTCC site and working downtown. Then I wandered to some of the other parts of the world from the safety of my laptop, too. I haven't posted much, though.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
It'll happen eventually [to JC] as space starts to run out in Manhattan island, Manhattan real estate keeps soaring even more and the economy improves. Well, maybe not a "SuperTall" for a while but some pretty huge projects.
Space ran out on Manhattan a long time ago. They just keep expanding Manhattan. I used to know some old guys, now pretty much dead, who worked on the construction of the original WTC. They would find parts of old ships, bottles, and other artifacts while excavating and have to stop while the NY Archeological Society came in and got everything. The site was once part of the river and/or the marshlands that were at the edge of Manhattan, and the earliest inhabitants had dumped their garbage there.

Then they took the excavated material from the WTC and dumped it in the river and built Battery Park City on top of it.

Maybe they'll keep going until someday Manhattan and Jersey City merge!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:42 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,815,816 times
I can't beleave people are against the idea of a supertall in Jersey City or Newark. Theres alot of cities that are building Supertalls , usually 1 or 2 per city , it elevates your international status... As for EWR effecting height , the flight path is East of DT...

Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,809,961 times
Sure, why not?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,082,041 times
I don't think JC or Newark need one but if we had one I don't think it'd be bad lol. I think NJ getting a supertall would depend on the Manhattan market. Manhattan ran out of space decades ago so their only option was to go vertical.

-For JC, it depends on how 'hot' the waterfront market would get. There plans for a sub-1000 footer on the waterfront that got scrapped earlier in the decade.

-For Newark, something like a 550-700 footer would be ideal; anything taller would be out of place IMO (or at least until it fills in). The airport wouldn't block Newark from having one b/c downtown isn't in the flight path of EWR.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I can't beleave people are against the idea of a supertall in Jersey City or Newark. Theres alot of cities that are building Supertalls , usually 1 or 2 per city , it elevates your international status... As for EWR effecting height , the flight path is East of DT...
Well, flight paths change, but there are also invisible circles and cones and whatnot that delineate the airport's area, so it would have to not interfere with that. (Think of the baseball player who turned around and crashed his plane into the Manhattan building a few years ago--the reason he had to turn was because he'd officially entered into LGA's area.) Any bridges or structures in the area have restrictions on height because of the airports, even if they're not in what the lay person sees as the direct flight path. Any building within a certain number of miles of the airport would have to comply with FAA safety criteria.

Personally, I love tall buildings, even with my experiences of having to run out of them on a couple of occasions. It's like working in the sky.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-27-2012 at 10:51 AM..

Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,653,721 times
While the 1300 ft. tall, it didn't interfere with the air traffic in the area. One in Jersey City might require re-routing. The space needed for such a building is extensive. the commercial real estate market wouldn't justify it although it would be years before it was completed.

In any case, I doubt any are planned for this areas.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,815,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
While the 1300 ft. tall, it didn't interfere with the air traffic in the area. One in Jersey City might require re-routing. The space needed for such a building is extensive. the commercial real estate market wouldn't justify it although it would be years before it was completed.

In any case, I doubt any are planned for this areas.
The Base of a supertall is no wider then the average building unless shops or something fancy is placed on the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey