U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:41 PM

52 posts, read 199,360 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for fun things a family with teenagers can do in NJ? We've done the Great Adventure thing so many times it's starting to grow old.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 07:28 AM

19,281 posts, read 27,299,845 times
Class trips that are big down here in the Pinelands is going to the cranberry bogs and picking blueberries.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:17 AM

991 posts, read 2,682,483 times
I bring my kid's to Smithville, NJ. It an old historic village around exit 48 on the GS Parkway. It has a puppet theator a lot of little specialty shops. There a big parking lot and it mostly pedestrian traffic. Here's a link

Smithville New Jersey - Historic Smithville - Village Green

After I take them to smithville I go a little further down route 9 to the Edwin Forsethe nature refuge. Its a seven mile drive on a dirt road where you'll see all kinds of birds, beaver's, turtle's. If you have a pair of binoculars bring them.

Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Old 09-08-2007, 08:40 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,248,665 times
There's a number of apple orchards and picking season is coming up. You also might consider the Newark Museum.

Old 09-08-2007, 09:48 AM

2,865 posts, read 8,920,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseywoman View Post
Any suggestions for fun things a family with teenagers can do in NJ? We've done the Great Adventure thing so many times it's starting to grow old.

Thanks!
This is an option----

Popcorn Park Zoo - Are We There Yet?

Diane

Old 09-08-2007, 10:22 AM

19,281 posts, read 27,299,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
This is an option----

Popcorn Park Zoo - Are We There Yet?

Diane

I was there when my daughter was little and had there been internet back then, wouldn't even consider going, or would avoid some of the animals as it was heart-breaking to see some of the ones that had injuries. My daughter was pretty upset after going there.

Old 09-08-2007, 10:59 AM

25,735 posts, read 28,450,213 times
Where in NJ are you?

Is the NY Renaissance Faire still open? That's in Tuxedo ("Sterling Forest"). I remember that it used to run from some time in August until some time in September.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:33 PM

6,044 posts, read 22,968,665 times
Any of several beaches/boardwalks.
Camden Aquarium.
Walk around downtown Princeton.
Rafting/kayaking on the Delaware (although the weather will probably be a little too cool for river fun very soon)
Fishing
ditto the suggestion for apple orchards, pumpkin picking, etc.
In October, there are a couple of absolutely terrific places in Bucks County, PA with haunted hayrides/haunted houses. And NJ has many cornmazes; my husband and I went to one once (can't for the life of me remember where, it was a baseball themed corn maze in either Mercer or Hunterdon county I think) and it took over 3 hours. lol
I like the Popcorn Zoo! Most of the animals are in good health...I can understand hesitating to bring small children there perhaps, but it might be a good learning experience for teens.

More ideas:
New Jersey Travel & Tourism, 101 Things to do in New Jersey

Old 09-09-2007, 10:33 AM

119 posts, read 333,658 times
Depending on where in NJ you are -- the PA Renaissance Faire in Manheim, PA is fun---they also have other events scheduled there throughout the year.

Jersey shore - northern and southern - can be fun - boardwalks, arcades, etc.

Philadelphia offers a variety of things to do.

Again, it's dependent on where you live in NJ, because proximity is an issue I would presume.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:40 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,100,370 times
Try Northlandz, I think it's out west toward lambertville. I looked it up online, it looks awesome, we're going soon. Look it up!! Also, up in sussex county there's space farms which will always strangely be an awesome place. But there's the skylands and a funplex, etc. There's also mountain creek (which used to be action park), the Palisades Mall in Palisades Park (has a ferris wheel right inside, I think a roller skating or ice skating rink, restaurants, etc.). There's plenty to find online for NJ day trips and there are books at Barnes and Noble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey