Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,522 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I would like some help making a decision on whether or not to move to New Jersey from Houston. My husband has an opportunity in Wayne. We have two school age children and I am wondering if there is an affordable place to live in Northern NJ that also has good schools. We know we are in for a shock when it comes to the cose of living and are wondering if the promotion will even be worth the move.

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 04:30 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,698,558 times
Wayne itself has nice homes which are "reasonable" as far as North Jersey goes. I would also look at Butler which is up Route 23. Nice area, in the mountains, and good schools.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:38 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,774,506 times
Consider NJ has the highest property taxes in the country. You need to decide how much you can spend on housing. You can check schools on greatschools.net. Look at some houses online and if you see something you think you might like, post a message with the info and you'll get some feedback. There are many towns within an easy commute of Wayne. If you look in Wayne, realize there are flood zones.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:48 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,269,238 times
Depends on where you're coming from in Houston and what kind of pay increase the promotion brings. If you're in a newer area like the Woodlands or Sugarland, you'll spend 5x what you paid down there for a similar house, and probably triple (or more) in property taxes.

You'll also want schools that are as good or better than what you're leaving, which may be tough if you're in one of the better districts down there.

Bob

Old 09-08-2007, 09:26 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,337,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmomx2 View Post
Hello,
I would like some help making a decision on whether or not to move to New Jersey from Houston. My husband has an opportunity in Wayne. We have two school age children and I am wondering if there is an affordable place to live in Northern NJ that also has good schools. We know we are in for a shock when it comes to the cose of living and are wondering if the promotion will even be worth the move.

Thanks in advance...
I don't think you can find what you have there, because I know NJ is soo much higher. I have a friend in the Woodlands that thought her taxes were high but when I compared it to NJ , she thought she had a bargain.
Also, the quality of life is better in Texas. You are acually closer to Galveston than to the NJ shore, because ya'll be in traffic for hours getting there.
Check out the Thread moving from NJ to Texas.

Diane, Formally from Manalapan, NJ, now Nashville, Tn

Old 09-09-2007, 12:54 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,337,190 times
To get back to the Post, The People asked if the Promotion would really be one or would it cost them much more to live in NJ, and the answer is it would.
NJ is much more expensive .Taxwise and what you can buy for money. Electric, Car Insurance, all higher. The car insurance for my son I'm still paying in NJ, so I know first hand. I also know that he could get a 2 bedroom apt here for what he's paying for one there, and complex would be a lot newer and more modern. I help him pay that also.
Zillow - 22 Woodland Cir, Manalapan, NJ 07726
btw, taxes are incorrect, were higher, and they don't even have 2006 sale updated, or the New reassement. They emailed this to me, and I have no idea why as I have not recently requested it.
I wish these people luck in whatever their decision is. I just thought they should know the truth.

Last edited by Global Friend; 09-09-2007 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 09-09-2007, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 8,522 times
Smile Thanks

Thank you to everyone's input. I guess at least one post wast deleted here. The information is about what I thought I would find, but I did not want to make assumptions. I love Texas, and know any change will be difficult for me and my family. This information will help us make a more informed decision and help with the negotiation process.
Can anyone tell me what the income tax is in NJ? If you live in PA and work in NJ do you still have to pay? Also, I have read good and bad things about West Milford. Can anyone tell me what it is really like there?
We are used to commuting, coming from Texas that is almost a fact of life.

Thanks Again,
Texasmomx2

Old 09-09-2007, 09:22 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
What is your price range?

As to whether it's worth it - this is something only you can decide. If the promotion is a good opportunity and a way to grow in the company and this is something the family wants, then cost of living should take somewhat of a back seat. For me, I'd never live in the Houston area, even though I could get the equivalent of what I have now for about $150K. There are far more important things to me than cost of living.

Note: Property taxes in Texas are high, maybe not quite as high as NJ, but not cheap either. I suspect the taxes in my house in TX would maybe be about 1G less (overall) than what I'm paying.

Anyway, to OP: if you give a price range and how long he's willing to commute you can get a better answer.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:26 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmomx2 View Post
Thank you to everyone's input. I guess at least one post wast deleted here. The information is about what I thought I would find, but I did not want to make assumptions. I love Texas, and know any change will be difficult for me and my family. This information will help us make a more informed decision and help with the negotiation process.
Can anyone tell me what the income tax is in NJ? If you live in PA and work in NJ do you still have to pay? Also, I have read good and bad things about West Milford. Can anyone tell me what it is really like there?
We are used to commuting, coming from Texas that is almost a fact of life.

Thanks Again,
Texasmomx2
you just posted before I did . here's a chart of NJ Income Tax :

If your income range is between $0 and $20,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 1.4%.
If your income range is between $20,001 and $35,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 1.75%.
If your income range is between $35,001 and $40,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 3.5%.
If your income range is between $40,001 and $75,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 5.525%.
If your income range is between $75,001 and $500,000, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 6.37%.
If your income range is $500,001 and over, your tax rate on every dollar of income earned is 8.97%.

Sales tax is 7%, but clothing and groceries (but there are some weird exceptions to this) are not taxed. if you live in PA but work in NJ you'll pay PA state tax - NJ/PA have a reciprocal relationship. However, with your husband working in Wayne, I wouldn't recommend living in PA - just too far.

what is your price range for housing?

Old 09-09-2007, 01:29 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,774,506 times
The truth, plain and simple, is that NJ is a great place to live. Yes, it's expensive; probably one of the most in the country. Like every other state, it has its good and bad points. We're all different and we all like/need different things. It's important to me to be near NYC and the Atlantic, so it's a perfect location. I'm sure I could get more for my housing dollar in many other places. The OP needs help making a decision about moving to the Wayne area. I don't live far from there, and I'm willing to give my feedback.
Texasmom, when you have more info, please let us know and I'm sure you'll get some good advice from people living in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey