Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,014 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking to move to Gutenberg NJ have have several questions about the area and commute. I currently live in a diverse area in NYC and work in jersey city.

We are priced out of Blvd east (from weehawken to north bergen) and Hoboken condos.

-Is the Gutenberg area safe around park Ave and 70 street?
-I walked around and saw a low income housing apartment on Broadway and 70 St. Is that bldg comparable to NYC projects (gangs, drugs, etc.)?
-is the ferry bus free to port imperial free? Need to take the light rail.
-Does it stop around 70 St and Blvd east?
-if I take the njt bus to weehawken, are the steps going down to the light rail on river road extremely long? Would I have to walk back up or is there an elevator?

Thanks for you feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 06:32 PM

189 posts, read 578,572 times
Blvd east itself is safe and very scenic, but i would not suggest going west at all from there. There is quite a lot of gang and drug activity west of the boulevard. Are you not able to find a place in your budget in jersey city or even Bayonne? The commute from guttenberg to JC using mass transit is not ideal.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 PM

I've heard jersey city is not safe at all. I'm not familiar with jc so I don't know what blocks or areas are good as far as living and the route to public transportation. As for our budget and need for 800 plus square feet, its been tough to find anything on Blvd east. And for bayonne, I don't really hear much people moving there. The main areas I hear about is Blvd east.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:31 PM

595 posts, read 1,548,729 times
I live in weehawken. The steps to the light rail are long and not safe in the winter when it snows. Weehawken is safe and the parts of union city close to weehawken are safe too. Don't believe in the scare that west of Blvd east is all dangerous. Its not. I'm originally from the suburbs. Basically u r better off finding a place in Bayonne. The bus from weehawken or whatever to jc is going to be long. Also u should look for the apartment's next to the light rail in north Bergen and union city. Where in jc are u working

Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 PM

I work around exchange place so I was planning on the light rail from port imperial in weehawken down to jc. I'll keep a eye out for condos in union city close by weehawken. Just need a safe area for my wife to commute to work and also be able to walk around to the grocery stores on weekends.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:37 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,746,347 times
The only 2 Bad areas of Jersey City are Bergen - Layette and Greenville....the rest of the city is fine , although some people might not be comfortable in certain neighborhoods due to the congestion and Yuppie noise.... Where have you heard that Jersey City is not safe?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:05 PM

595 posts, read 1,548,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2njnow View Post
I work around exchange place so I was planning on the light rail from port imperial in weehawken down to jc. I'll keep a eye out for condos in union city close by weehawken. Just need a safe area for my wife to commute to work and also be able to walk around to the grocery stores on weekends.

just so you know, you can also park at the north bergen light rail station

"Hudson Bergen Light Rail Tonnelle Ave Station
Lot on Tonnelle and 51st Street - $3/DAY or $50/MONTH - Open 24hr/7day – No Staff Present - Vending Machines Only - Use of Light Rail Additional - Adult - $2.10 one-way/Monthly $64"

this will give you the luxury of having more options. my advice is for you to stick to the light rail! it will be the fastest and most reliable way in getting to your job.

and here is info for bayonne

"Bayonne
1. Hudson Bergen Light Rail 22nd Station
Lot #1 on Avenue E & E 22nd St, lot #2 on Prospect Avenue & East 21st Street - $3/DAY or $50/MONTH – Open 24hr/7day – No Staff Present - Vending Machines Only - Use of Light Rail Additional - Adult - $2.10 one-way/Monthly $64
2. Hudson Bergen Light Rail 34th St Station
Lot on E 32nd St & Prospect Ave $3/DAY or $50/MONTH - Open 24hr/7day – No Staff Present - Vending Machines Only - Use of Light Rail Additional - Adult - $2.10 one-way/Monthly $64"

honestly union city is horrible when it comes to parking, so you need a parking spot...and north bergen isn't much better.

either make sure you live close to a light rail station or close enough to drive and park. do NOT live in secaucus for example if it will require to you drive through route 3 to get to the light rail parking station because it will have built up traffic of all the cars going to the lincoln tunnel.

also north bergen is shaped like an upside down "L" the topper part of north bergen (the area closer to the park) will appear less urban with many residential housing with yards etc. actually looks very nice. there are buildings there too for rent and to own

http://www.google.com/maps/vt/data=A...kr7NDQTj8Ou3qX

my advice is to use google maps street view and to drive around to see the area.

also where does your wife work?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 AM

576 posts, read 1,591,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The only 2 Bad areas of Jersey City are Bergen - Layette and Greenville....the rest of the city is fine , although some people might not be comfortable in certain neighborhoods due to the congestion and Yuppie noise.... Where have you heard that Jersey City is not safe?
Do everyone a favor and move there that way your statements have some credibility. There is a 1 SQ Mile (if that) of Yuppies on the waterfront. The rest of the city is livable at best (aside from Greenville and B-Laff)

Last edited by cf77; 03-05-2012 at 09:24 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Hahahaha Yuppie noise? You think yuppies are making noise in JSQ or the Heights?!? Oh wait maybe they are all on Westside ave ...... you're off your rocker my friend.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:46 AM

To the og poster, look into Weehawken or any of the buildings along blvd East. Those are legitimate safe areas. Even Bayonne farther away from Greenville JC is safe and a very easy commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey