Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 AM

15 posts, read 14,940 times

Advertisements

I am taking a vacation in two weeks and we will be staying in West Orange. We'll be there a week and plan to hit the city, the beach, all that good stuff. I also plan on taking us down to DC for the day and my question is, how bad can the traffic get? We plan to hit the highway (I95) around 8am. We plan on heading back to Jersey at around 6pm. Are these terrible times to make this trip?

My Dad suggested taking the train but I am just not too sure about that, I really don't see how much fast it could really be. I took Amtrak from Newark to Virginia when I was a kid and I remember it taking about 4 hours. My uncle had to drive me home and that took about 4 hours. I guess I just assume have my own ride if it is going to take the same amount of time.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:51 AM

271 posts, read 1,019,239 times
Traffic is going to be bad but since you are going against the traffic during the most peak time you should be okay.
Leaving from DC at 6pm will definitely be a problem but nothing too bad.

BTW, personally I think DC deserves more than 6 or so hours that you plan to spend there.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:03 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by re_alvz View Post
Traffic is going to be bad but since you are going against the traffic during the most peak time you should be okay.
Leaving from DC at 6pm will definitely be a problem but nothing too bad.

BTW, personally I think DC deserves more than 6 or so hours that you plan to spend there.
I agree that 6 hours is not enough for DC but I guess it really depends on what one's itenary is during a trip to DC. If it's just to drive around and say I was there, 6 hours is plenty.

As for driving, the biggest traffic congestion is probably going to be right around Baltimore to DC. You are going to get heavy traffic either way on that stretch of the drive both ways.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:43 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Some of it depends on whether you are driving weekday or weekend. It's still an interesting trip, I usually make it in about 4 to 5 hours or so. Weekends in the summer you get "everybody and their uncle" driving to vacation spots, Nooh Yukkers, etc. I jump off I-95 onto other roads often.
Also there are various ways to drive through NJ as the nj turnpike is not the "real" I-95 down south but does connect to it.
Also lots of info avail on another website, I don't think moderators like posting other websites on here so I'll just say look up I-95 exit guide on any search page and check the forums.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 PM

Good info guys thanks. So maybe we can spend 8 hours there and head back at 8. I could probably get us back by 12 which wouldn't be too bad since the next day is a lazy day at the beach. I spent a week in DC when I was 16 and I agree, 6-8hours isn't enough time but the real part of our trip is in NJ/NY. Just thought we could walk the mall, check out the Smithsonian and if there is time Mr. Washington's plantation.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Amtrak now takes 2-3hrs....and in the near future 1hr to DC...

Old 06-19-2012, 06:49 AM

So maybe I should listen to my dad? Is it inconvenient in anyway to get to all the typical places from the station? I think I would hate to be stuck walking or risk "missing the train".

Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 AM

91 posts, read 274,854 times
use an application on your smartphone called WAZE it helps alot.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:52 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Amtrak now takes 2-3hrs....and in the near future 1hr to DC...
Yes, 2 hours 45 minutes if you take the Acela. I used to do that trip for work every week. Keep in mind though, the Acela is VERY expensive. It's about $200 each way per person. Totally not worth it if you're just going to DC for the day, which I think is crazy in and of itself.

Expect the drive to DC to take 4-5 hours each way, depending on traffic. So just going for the day means that by the time you get there it will be almost time to leave again. I would highly suggest at least spending the night down there.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
For a day trip from West Orange, you might want to consider Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey