Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 AM

42 posts, read 81,328 times

Advertisements

Yes that is what i noticed about living here in Westfield. It is not easy finding a house with a decent backyard in this town it is like finding a needle in a haystack.
Which is why we took our search to Scotch Plains and Berkley Heights. It seems you can get more land for your money there. It may not be as prestigious as Westfield for their downtown but with a 550k budget you get a lot of house for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 AM

667 posts, read 1,743,886 times
also with small yards. shared driveways are fairly common in WF

Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Well i must be one of the lucky ones i dont have a shared drive way. but it is true a lot of the homes have these shared driveways.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanisdrew View Post
on South Scotch Plains Ave? My husband LOVEs it. Im not super crazy about the house but its in decent shape and seemingly in a good part of town. its zoned for mckinley and seems like a nice block.

Any negatives to this street/part of town, except the fast that its not walking distance to town? IS this a location, too good to pass up?

We are still young in our search and have a few more months before we need to leave our house so i am apprehensive about bidding on a house Im not in love with this early in the game. Then again, I may never be in love with a house in my price range so maybe I should go with a house that I at least like and not risk passing up a great location.

What are your thoughts about this location?

thanks again

!

C

I would not bid on something you do not love there will be more houses popping up in the spring. I have seen it the last few years that i have been living here. It seems as soon as schools almost over there tends to be a bunch of homes that pop up on the market. It seems like as soon as they pack their kids off for college they are selling. Which could be a good thing for you if you are patient.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 AM

55 posts, read 113,336 times
So funny you say that about the shared driveways bec its my husbands pet peeve coming from brooklyn. we have a private driveway in brooklyn and my husband cannot even consider a house with a shared driveway in brooklyn. I guess WF is a really unique part of NJ (good and bad). : )

I am just going to try and stay positive about the search and keep what i want in my mind. I may not get everything but the least i can do is identify what I want and stay positive, right? LOL

Old 03-07-2012, 06:40 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
shared driveways always seemed odd to me for the suburbs.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:10 AM

239 posts, read 1,140,885 times
we have a shared drive, no garage but like everything you get used to it and it doesn't bother me any more. That area of town is great! The school is wonderful and one of the smallest and I know many people in that district, all super nice, down-to-earth, friendly. not sure about the busy street--we live on a less busy street and I don't let the kids play in the street anyway. or even in the front yard unless I'm right there--my boys are 7 and 4, when we moved here I was pregnant and the older boy was 3 and I thought about the same things you did.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 AM

Well Tanis I will be selling my house in a few months after i do some sprucing up If your interested drop me a note

Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 AM

55 posts, read 113,336 times
@greys!! OH. NO! Where r u going?!?!? Private message me some details. : ) you never know!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey