Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:09 PM

65 posts, read 207,902 times

Advertisements

We just looked at a home in Nutley that is right next to PSE&G electric towers! The realtor was of course trying to tell us that PSE&G has stated there is no proof showing any type of risk for cancer due to EMR, but I don't think I can rely on their info. I'm thinking it would be foolish to buy something THAT close! It was a few hundred yards from the backyard. The other thing is that not only is it an eye sore, but if we did consider selling in the future, I don't know if the value would hold up!

It's a shame, it's such a beautiful home in our price range... I guess it was too good to be true!

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:14 PM

81 posts, read 340,776 times
That is why it's such a beautiful home in your price range. Don't do it.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly04 View Post
PSE&G has stated there is no proof showing any type of risk for cancer due to EMR, but I don't think I can rely on their info.
if you really have that concern, why would you even consider it? live somewhere else, there are plenty of homes out there.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,299,392 times
I don't fear cancer from those things, I just think they're really ugly and I wouldn't want to have to look at them all the time. The rats' nest of wires strapped to the utility poles and sagging from the sides of buildings on my block are eyesores enough.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly04 View Post
We just looked at a home in Nutley that is right next to PSE&G electric towers! The realtor was of course trying to tell us that PSE&G has stated there is no proof showing any type of risk for cancer due to EMR, but I don't think I can rely on their info. I'm thinking it would be foolish to buy something THAT close! It was a few hundred yards from the backyard. The other thing is that not only is it an eye sore, but if we did consider selling in the future, I don't know if the value would hold up!

It's a shame, it's such a beautiful home in our price range... I guess it was too good to be true!

Any thoughts?
Too good to be true in real estate always is exactly that. You saw how excited people got at the mention of buying a house next to a stream on this board and all that has the potential to do is maybe put some water in your basement. High Voltage Power lines( whether substantiated or not) have been linked to cancer and tumors in both kids and adults. This will make reselling it a nightmare and if you are thinking about it now wait until you are looking up at it every night wondering.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Too good to be true in real estate always is exactly that. You saw how excited people got at the mention of buying a house next to a stream on this board and all that has the potential to do is maybe put some water in your basement. High Voltage Power lines( whether substantiated or not) have been linked to cancer and tumors in both kids and adults. This will make reselling it a nightmare and if you are thinking about it now wait until you are looking up at it every night wondering.
The market punishes homes near power lines, commercial properties, railroads, basically anything that is not quiet and residential. It's that simple. If you buy one of these homes at a bargain price, you will be selling it at a bargain price. Most people have no problem buying at the bargain price. But when it's time to sell, like magic, they want to get the same price as the homes that do not suffer from the market defect. Just human nature I guess!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:44 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,024 times
what would probably **** me off the most is that when power is out for some reason, your home would probably be the last.... I would go crazy!

Old 03-07-2012, 04:11 PM

65 posts, read 207,902 times
What I don't understand is why someone would decide to build a brand new customized home, over an existing foundation, make it huge, beautiful, etc and then think they can command over 600k for it, when it's in a neighborhood with much smaller, older homes, AND next to power lines!!?? That's what this family did. I feel bad for them, in a way.

So it's out. Thanks for the reassurance!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:03 PM

605 posts, read 2,146,752 times
As a buyer looking at homes now, I wouldn't have gotten out of the car. That is our motto....

Old 03-07-2012, 05:31 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,568 times
There is also the issue of the Susquehanna Roseland power line project. To my understanding, this is a major project where PSE&G wants to add towers and also make the existing towers 3 times taller than they currently are. This project affects a chain of towers along a route that goes from PA to NJ. In NJ, the towers affected go through many towns...from north west Jersey in Hardwick, going eastward all the way to East Hanover and Roseland.

So, in other words, in addition to worrying about the power lines themselves, you also have to worry about what the government and public utility is going to do with them in the future.

And from what I've read, they won't reimburse home owners for lowered property values resulting from these 3X taller towers.

To add insult to injury, I think I also read that all of this is to increase PSE&G's profits by providing additional power...to NEW YORK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey