U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2006, 09:40 AM

103 posts, read 378,587 times

Advertisements

I feel like I am looking for the impossible here but I am trying to find a part time job with benefits. My husband works for a brokerage company but since he basically works for himself, there is no health insurance. I am currently a SAHM of a two year old and the only benfeit of me working would be health insurance( since all the money I made would go to childcare) We are currently paying almost $1100 a month for insurance and we are trying to save for a house......it is seeming impossible. We are in north jersey right now.....if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it
Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2006, 09:48 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,778,793 times
The suggestions that immediately come to mind are COSTCO, which if I am not mistaken, you are eligible for benefits as a part-time hourly employee after 180 days, and a temporary or staffing agency.

COSTCO doesn't pay less than $10/hour, which is pretty good by that industry's standards. As for the staffing agencies, it varies as to how many hours you have to put in before you qualify for benefits.

Good luck.

SL

Old 09-15-2006, 12:36 PM

543 posts, read 1,404,898 times
There are some employer's who will pay benefits if you work a certain number of hours pt (I think most at least 25 hrs). As a special ed teacher, I can tell you that if you worked as a teacher's aid full time (which would still give you many holidays and the summer off with your child), you would get great benefits. And some preschools have aid jobs where you could work plus have your child with you at the school. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2006, 12:59 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,712,750 times
Maybe try looking for insurance companies that are hiring. I work for one in Edison (we're not hiring right now), and our employees get free benefits. Maybe another would offer these same benefits to their part time employees.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:15 PM

4,338 posts, read 14,212,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri0528 View Post
I feel like I am looking for the impossible here but I am trying to find a part time job with benefits. My husband works for a brokerage company but since he basically works for himself, there is no health insurance. I am currently a SAHM of a two year old and the only benfeit of me working would be health insurance( since all the money I made would go to childcare) We are currently paying almost $1100 a month for insurance and we are trying to save for a house......it is seeming impossible. We are in north jersey right now.....if anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it
Thank you.
You didn't mention what type of work you would like to do? Here are a couple suggestions: airlines & restaurants (corporations) you can make your hours and usually get benefits by working twenty five hours or more a week. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2006, 05:27 PM

31,781 posts, read 73,123,917 times
Also look into Lowe's or Home Depot. Most positions (at least here in PA) pay at least $8/hr., and the benefits packages offered by each company are very generous. Granted, "big-box" retail is very stressful, but it's a pleasure if you enjoy working with the public! ;o)

Old 09-16-2006, 07:39 AM

6,044 posts, read 23,124,125 times
ditto SWB; I was under the impression that Home Depot, as well as ShopRite, offered health insurance to its part time employees. It might be worth working a few nights a week as a cashier just to have the coverage.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:49 PM

103 posts, read 378,587 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I am definitely going to look into them. I would like some kind of office enviroment. I use to be an Adminsitrative Assistant and then moved onto sales. But i am just looking for the best deal. Thanx again!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 11,188 times
Default Part Time Job w/Full Time benefits

Cablevision hires part time and offers full time benefits...minimum 20 hrs/wk.

www.cablevision.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri0528 View Post
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>