Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:31 AM

271 posts, read 417,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Never, and here is why: the Nets had a window of success between 2001 and 2007. Rod Thorn through his stewardship was able to trade for Jason Kidd, draft well, and fielded an instant winner. Much like the Devils, however, NJ fans never sold out the arena. There is still more of an identity towards the Knicks and the Rangers, even though the name "New Jersey" was resident in the names of the teams, the fans in Northern NJ still identify with New York City. Suggested in another way, the NYC area does not have enough fan support to support two NBA teams. We shall see if the Nets sell out in Brooklyn. I have my doubts. You could probably support 4 major league baseball teams around NYC, but NBA has a much lower following. Devout, for the Knicks, to be sure. However I suspect ultimately, a one team NBA city.
i would agree with you but im starting to see people in newark were really nets fans. I see eyes on the tv glued to the the nets preseason..The area can support a team if its was a good team it needs to be a built as the right kind of team, a defense first team would do better for the grit of urban jersey with a marketable face for the residents of other towns.. it would be a small market team but if okc has one of the best teams in the league we can support a team . im a knicks fan but if newark got its own team i cant say i would be a passionate fan but i would wear logos and visit games check on them every now and again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
A new team in Newark could be very successful if it helps build the "Newark" brand. "New Jersey Nets" just wasn't a worthwhile brand in my opinion, not because North Jersey doesn't deserve a team, but because it just intuitively felt awkward, at least to me. The Brooklyn Nets already have a great reputation and they haven't even played yet. This is because it just feels right. So the next team in Newark should definitely focus on building up the Newark brand. This would help both the team's and the city's image.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! people nyc only thing of jersey as one big town... they dont distinguish newark/ alpine/ jersey city they just call it jersey so in return other people dont know about newark as a city of its own ... its bigger than a lot of other big cities and when you count our urban population as our own area we have a HUGE CITY! we need to have a local news station that shows devils/local nba/ redbulls games...

Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Do you think that would've helped with their poor attendance? After all, when you boil down to it, it's all about the $$$$, not the name.

we put a basketball stadium away from all urban life in this state then moved it to newark when they only were winning 11 games a season ... it was badly planned ... football games are sundays when most people are off work and can make a day of tailgating... basketball games are 800 on a tuesday no where near mass transit ( we have one of the highest rates of non car owning households and mass transit usage) it was the result of bad planning by developers... the rock gets rocking every devils game jumps off and those fans mostly live in the burbs... The reason david stern doesnt want to do it is that the nets still suck... but there marketing ploy is " the new brooklyn nets" if another team get created in jersey now they are just the bk nets a 7-6 th place team 1st round exit ... we should try to get an expansion adding teams to newark/ baltimore/ seattle/ san deigo/ and st louis or buffalo all at once that way the division is still even between all teams and no changes to the playoff format

Old 10-19-2012, 01:07 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,975,563 times
Not. Gonna. Happen.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:11 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,928,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
... we should try to get an expansion adding teams to newark/ baltimore/ seattle/ san deigo/ and st louis or buffalo all at once that way the division is still even between all teams and no changes to the playoff format
It's all about corporate suites. Many of those cities named above don't have enough corporations willing to spend their discretionary dollars on suites.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
It's all about corporate suites. Many of those cities named above don't have enough corporations willing to spend their discretionary dollars on suites.
newark/ seattle/ and i imagine san fran would be fine.. the other cities would struggle but i can promise you all of them want an nba team

Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,669,041 times
Quote:
i would agree with you but im starting to see people in newark were really nets fans. I see eyes on the tv glued to the the nets preseason..The area can support a team if its was a good team it needs to be a built as the right kind of team, a defense first team would do better for the grit of urban jersey with a marketable face for the residents of other towns.. it would be a small market team but if okc has one of the best teams in the league we can support a team . im a knicks fan but if newark got its own team i cant say i would be a passionate fan but i would wear logos and visit games check on them every now and again

nope

Old 10-20-2012, 04:41 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times
Quote:
newark/ seattle/ and i imagine san fran would be fine.. the other cities would struggle but i can promise you all of them want an nba team
I know that the New York Market is the largest in the country but don't you think 3 NBA teams in one market is a bit too much.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:07 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I know that the New York Market is the largest in the country but don't you think 3 NBA teams in one market is a bit too much.
They'd have an easier time doing it with the NBA than the way the NHL currently does it.

Old 10-20-2012, 05:14 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,145 times
Myself, and the group of folks I used to go to Nets games with would have LOVED to have the Nets anywhere that was more accessible. The Meadowlands sucked on so many levels. There simply is no atmosphere there to really appreciate the team on its own. The YankeeNets eventually figured that out when they tried to move to Newark the first time.

Not to mention, the team spending most of its time as a lame-duck franchise. Newark may or may not get a team, but that's 10-15 years away AT LEAST.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey