Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 PM

143 posts, read 302,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
I hate towns without sidewalks. Lots of people get hit by cars because of this. Essex green in west orange needs pedestrian walks.
For some reason they have a very small sidewalk going into Essex Green Plaza but for some weird reason they've put rocks in it. I don't understand . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,119,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahrah View Post
For some reason they have a very small sidewalk going into Essex Green Plaza but for some weird reason they've put rocks in it. I don't understand . . .
They did the same thing on the island I got stranded on (see above post). It was great trying to get a stroller over it. I was thinking "I just wanted some cold cuts. Should I have to die for them?".

Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I always felt like towns without sidewalks just didn't want people walking in their neighborhood. I often wish my town well atleast my block didn't have sidewalks. Between neighbors parking in front of my house and dumping trash from their cars and pockets to the deadbeats walking to the 5th ave projects dropping soda cans and whatever other crap on my grass is enough to make me insane.
LOL, well there's an interesting twist.

We didn't have sidewalks in the town where I grew up (they have since been added) but it didn't have anything to do with not wanting people walking in their neighborhood--think about it--kids walked on those sidewalk-less streets to school every day!

I think it's got more to do with the fact that those towns, many of which started out as country towns, did not even have paved roads when the neighborhoods were built. Sidewalks were for main streets and bigger cities. Fifty-sixty years ago, no one ever expected the population in NJ to explode the way it did.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:26 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahrah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
They did the same thing on the island I got stranded on (see above post). It was great trying to get a stroller over it. I was thinking "I just wanted some cold cuts. Should I have to die for them?".
Ahem, these walkways/crosswalks are obviously not designed by anyone who would likely ever be pushing a stroller, if you get my drift.

Saw something similar in the newspaper once--a woman complaining that whoever designed her house was not a person who had to do laundry, since they put the laundry room completely on the other side of the house from the bedrooms.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
If it were put to a vote in each neighborhood I wonder how it would go? If I lived in a suburban neighborhood I would vote for no sidewalks. We all know that City-Data members are skewed to favor more urban, walkable features like sidewalks.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
If it were put to a vote in each neighborhood I wonder how it would go? If I lived in a suburban neighborhood I would vote for no sidewalks. We all know that City-Data members are skewed to favor more urban, walkable features like sidewalks.
Idk about that , everytime they'll done a 2030-2050 Masterplan in this region , the residents of the suburbs demand more sidewalks and bikeways....

Old 08-05-2012, 12:46 PM

26 posts, read 51,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah.
So Rude!

Old 08-05-2012, 01:29 PM

80 posts, read 191,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I often wish my town well atleast my block didn't have sidewalks. Between neighbors parking in front of my house and dumping trash from their cars and pockets to the deadbeats walking to the 5th ave projects dropping soda cans and whatever other crap on my grass is enough to make me insane.
I'm glad my street doesn't have sidewalks. It's just that much more snow I'd have to shovel come winter.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:31 PM

133 posts, read 236,624 times
NJ is a state where this is less of a problem than any other state.
Not every community is as walkable as the next, but I mean, if walkability is what you want- you can easily find it.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:55 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
In Maplewood and South Orange, pretty much all streets have sidewalks. These towns are as old as or older than West Orange, so it's not a function of when they were built or federal mandates. The sidewalks are heavily used by commuters walking to the train, kids walking to school, parents and nannies with strollers, etc. It adds a nice character to the towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey