Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:44 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,733 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving back to the East Coast and the only thing that seems to work is either living in Northern N.J or in Queens or Brooklyn. I don't think I can manage the hectic life of N.Y. so I am hoping that Norther N.J., of which I know nothing about, can supply a reasonable urban environment with the benefits of going into the city now and then. We can afford a $400,000 - $500,000 condo or townhouse, and we will need a garage for a car since we will be going places.

We love to walk in downtown areas, read in coffee shops, go to book stores, play tennis, and meet great and friendly people for a good evening dinner. What do you think? Is there a place in Northern N.J. that works. Jersey City, Hoboken, Montclair? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 05:04 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
where do you like to play tennis, indoors or out?

I think Brooklyn could be a fit, although I don't know about tennis . But you can walk everywhere, lots of good coffee shops, restaurants, book stores, etc. you'd need to specifically look for a place with a driveway though.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 AM

28 posts, read 64,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
My wife and I are moving back to the East Coast and the only thing that seems to work is either living in Northern N.J or in Queens or Brooklyn. I don't think I can manage the hectic life of N.Y. so I am hoping that Norther N.J., of which I know nothing about, can supply a reasonable urban environment with the benefits of going into the city now and then. We can afford a $400,000 - $500,000 condo or townhouse, and we will need a garage for a car since we will be going places.

We love to walk in downtown areas, read in coffee shops, go to book stores, play tennis, and meet great and friendly people for a good evening dinner. What do you think? Is there a place in Northern N.J. that works. Jersey City, Hoboken, Montclair? Thanks for the help.
Hi,
What do you think about Beregn county? towns such as Fair Lawn, Paramus or Rochelle Park might work for you.
Feel free to reply directly to my email:
isaar@tcr.com
I'm a Real estate Agent and live in the area.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
where do you like to play tennis, indoors or out?

I think Brooklyn could be a fit, although I don't know about tennis . But you can walk everywhere, lots of good coffee shops, restaurants, book stores, etc. you'd need to specifically look for a place with a driveway though.
Thanks for the suggestions. We'll definitely consider it.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaar View Post
Hi,
What do you think about Beregn county? towns such as Fair Lawn, Paramus or Rochelle Park might work for you.
Feel free to reply directly to my email:
isaar@tcr.com
I'm a Real estate Agent and live in the area.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will do some research into these areas. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:28 AM

249 posts, read 825,097 times
How about Edgewater, NJ? They have both a Whole Foods & Trader Joe's and is very diverse. Also, just a quick ferry ride into NYC.

I'd also suggest Metuchen. Located in Central NJ, not Northern. But, it has a great Main Street to walk to and it's located on the Northeast Corridor rail line, so it's relatively easy to get into NYC.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:03 PM

478 posts, read 1,230,018 times
Montclair would be a good choice. There are 3+ village areas. Ridgewood maybe too, but less in the way of condo/ townhomes. I've heard good things about Rutherford. Need to get back there to check it out. Happy to answer further Montclair questions.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekee726 View Post
How about Edgewater, NJ? They have both a Whole Foods & Trader Joe's and is very diverse. Also, just a quick ferry ride into NYC.

I'd also suggest Metuchen. Located in Central NJ, not Northern. But, it has a great Main Street to walk to and it's located on the Northeast Corridor rail line, so it's relatively easy to get into NYC.
Thanks much. Usually if there is a Trader Joes and Whole Foods nearby, the demographics of the local population is close to the lifestyle that we are looking for - e.g. health oriented.

Can you tell me a bit more about life in Edgewater? Are there 2 bedroom rental apartments of 1200 sq. ft. plus available for us to try out the area before buying? Thanks much for the suggestion!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
Montclair would be a good choice. There are 3+ village areas. Ridgewood maybe too, but less in the way of condo/ townhomes. I've heard good things about Rutherford. Need to get back there to check it out. Happy to answer further Montclair questions.
My brother mentioned Montclair as well as a couple of other towns in Northern N.J. Can you tell me a bit more about what life is like in Montclair? We like to play tennis, table tennis, practice yoga, go dancing. Are there places for us to go and meet new people. We are quite active and physically more like 50 than 60. Thanks for all of the help!

Old 03-14-2012, 12:58 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Amazing what a difference a title of thread makes.

I still say that is NJ is no place for someone to move to when they retire or empty nesters.

That is unless you have bagsfull of money and pretty much don't care what the cost is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey