Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:29 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,897 times

Advertisements

You could do Liberty Science and Statue of liberty. Great city views. Good lunch place on an old boat right near by as I recall. Great views of the city. I'd go to Sandy Hook if they want to see the Atlantic Ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
I am pretty sure the statue of liberty is closed for renovation. I think I read that somewhere.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:46 PM

36 posts, read 85,303 times
Very good pointers, appreciate it. I live in Hackensack.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATiger View Post
Very good pointers, appreciate it. I live in Hackensack.

Well, then, you've got something even closer to home.

Hackensack Riverkeeper : Eco-Cruises

Old 03-16-2012, 02:37 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,342 times
A 3 year old will tire out fairly quickly. Van Saun park/zoo with it's train ride is a perfect escape, especially with nice weather. The Paramus Children's museum is, meh. LSC is not for everyone IMO and likely your 6 yr old would prefer that experience. The NY museums mentioned are very cool BUT I've been with my kids to the Intrepid and MoNH and an hour later we were all beat, kids were hungry/cranky. Both the Big Apple Circus circus and Barnum and Bailey(IZOD) are in town. I took my 4 and 6 year old kids and they loved it but it was $$$ ($10-$12 for cotton candy!).

Or just go and walk Central Park, ride on a horse and carriage thru the park, go to the CP zoo, buy a hot dog, go to FAO Schwartz and then to the Plaza... and make a day of it! Coming from TX they will appreciate that experience and talk about it for weeks.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:45 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,567 times
Don't forget the USS Ling, the Von Steuben House in River Edge, or a hike along the Palisades off the Edgewater Boat Basins. For the latter, bring a small ball to kick around or a wiffle ball and bat. 'Beach combing' along one of the sandy areas by the water was always fun for me, and you never knew what you would turn up. Feeding ducks (if they still allow it) at the Ridgewood duck pond is always a pleasant experience. I can recall touring the water treatment plant in either Little Ferry or Oradell many years ago, not sure if they still offer that. Teterboro Airport (NJ Aviation Hall of Fame and Museum) sporadically offers tours too. Check phone listings and see what you can find. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,228 times
All the suggestions are great. I'll add to that Newark Museum, which has the Ballantine House, and many wonderful exhibits. Newark Museum

Paterson Museum is also great, and has the 1st submarine & locomotive, not to mention tons of information on Paterson's very rich history, going back to when the Lenni Lenape Native tribes inhabited the region. The Paterson Museum » Website
Plus while in Paterson they can visit Great Falls National Park. Paterson Great Falls National Historical Park - Paterson Great Falls National Historical Park

My kids enjoyed both museums, and the falls. The Ballantine House kind of creeped them out,lol, but I liked it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey