Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:03 AM

7 posts, read 25,788 times

Advertisements

Hello
Looking for info on the areas of Dunellen and South Plainfield. We will be moving from the Scranton Pa area later this year.My husbands co worker suggested we look in this area.We are a family of 6 and need good elementary and middle schools, public or private.Currently all children in private schools.Would like to know the good and bad of both areas.We are looking to down size and be at a max 1 hour from Queens.Commute for work not an issue.We will be visiting the area next week,please give suggestions on where I should explore to get to know the area.good and bad. We will be looking to buy ,how are the taxes?

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 10:29 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,532 times
1 hour to queens? You could EASILY spend 1 hour on the SIE just trying to cross the VNB to get into queens. Ditto for any other avenue (HT, LT etc)

Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM

well, I quess I meant in perfect traffic conditions.Having lived in NYC most of my life I understand you must expect and plan for traffic.Although, It will take some getting used to again.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:12 PM

anyone ?? Please info needed
Thanks

Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
South Plainfield to Queens in an hour? LOL

Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM

anything constructive ?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
You couldn't get from South Plainfield to Queens in one hour in a spaceship.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:35 PM

501 posts, read 1,473,814 times
South Plainfield is a mixture of blue/white collar workers. Many of the houses are ranches and cape cods built in the 1950's with some older houses and newer developments sprinkled in. The newer developments are primarily located on the south side of town (by Rt. 287). The housing is affordable with the older ranches and houses priced around $220,000 to $325,000 or so. Newer housing will of course be priced higher.

The school system is pretty good (but not on par with Westfield, Summit, Millburn et al). The closet private school is Wardlaw which is located in Edison but very close to the South Plainfield border. The school has classes from pre-kindergarten to grade 12. There aren't too many restaurants in town but it is a short drive to Westfield, Edison, Scotch Plains, Piscataway which do have some very good restaurants. It is a 20-25 minute drive to Menlo Park shopping center and the Woodbridge mall for major retail therapy. There are also smaller malls in South Plainfield. Train stations are located at MetroPark (around Menlo Park mall), Fanwood and Westfield. There is also a good selection of grocery stores in the area (including an Aldi's) If you are searching for a home there, stay away from areas which border Plainfield.

I personally do not care for Dunellen. It is too close to Plainfield and the downtown area is fairly run down. The housing stock tends to be older. I know nothing about their school system. There are some streets which are OK but nothing to rave about.

I won't comment on commuting to Queens because that has already been covered lol.

If you have any further questions, just drop me a DM. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2012, 11:28 AM

Rowen,Thank you very much for all the info

Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Both are fairly close to Plainfield, which is a ghetto. I used to live in Piscataway and had a few problems in the complex I lived in at the time. However, going north on Washington Ave, I always thought the looks of everything improved once you actually got into Dunellen while the bordering sections of Piscataway look as rundown as Plainfield.

I never thought South Plainfield was a bad area until a good friend of mine born and raised there said he got mugged there once. Granted I was mugged literally at my door in Piscataway, but I was kind of surprised to hear about that since I always knew SP as a safer town than Piscataway. He lived close to the Plainfield border too, but I always thought the cops patrolled that area pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey