U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 03:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,651 times

Advertisements

im graduating from rutgers (new brunswick) in two months and hoping to work in new york. what are some of the safest and least expensive (i know that those terms are relative lol) towns in north jersey? im hoping to keep my commute under a half hour
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 04:48 PM

2,161 posts, read 4,650,950 times
By "commute under a half hour", if you mean a train/bus ride that is 30 minutes in length, there are numerous options, urban and suburban, safe and not too expensive.

But I'm guessing you are talking about a "commute under a half hour" meaning 30 minutes from the time you lock your apartment door, to the time you are stepping into the foyer of your office building. I'm also guessing that you'd prefer a more urban setting with night life, as opposed to a quiet, sleepy suburban setting.

So, I think you're pretty much limited to cities along the PATH system:

Newark
Harrison
Jersey City
Hoboken

Depending on how close you live to the actual PATH station in one of the above cites, and where you work in Manhattan (downtown? midtown?), you can have as short as a 10-15 minute, door-to-door commute.

For example, it's only a 4-minute train ride from Exchange Place in Jersey City to the World Trade Center. It's only an 8-minute train ride from Hoboken to Christopher St.

The longest possible PATH train commute is from Newark all the way to the end of the line at 33rd St. That would take about 35 minutes.

If you end up getting a job in Manhattan that requires you to take a subway or a long walk once you get off the PATH (e.g., by Grand Central or the UN Building), you can count on tacking another 20 minutes on to your commute time.

As far as SAFETY in Newark, Harrison, Jersey City or Hoboken, it's hard to say which is safer than the rest. A lot depends on specific neighborhoods within each city...although, if I HAD to choose, I'd probably say Hoboken (in general). Hoboken can be expensive, though.

CHEAPEST would probably, in general, be Harrison. And actually, Harrison is pretty safe. However, Harrison doesn't have the glam, party/bar vibe of Hoboken that a lot of recent college grads find attractive.

Montclair and Morristown are 2 other cities that young college grads would like. However, both of these are farther west (Morristown is REALLY far west), and that means a longer commute and a more expensive commute. NJ Transit train/bus fare is a lot more expensive than PATH fare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey