Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:09 PM

128 posts, read 250,675 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I work in downtown manhattan and wanted to live in a safe, peaceful and quite area and was looking into moving to New Jersey. I don't have a car and will rely on public transportion to get to me to work and back home. I can afford up to $1500/month for a studio or 1br apartment, and would like my commute to work to be no longer than 90 minutes, but 2 hours might be ok as well. Are there any good suburban areas/small towns/villages I could look into?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 PM

128 posts, read 355,175 times
You could try Bordentown City, which is a nice walkable town, very affordable, and you can take the Riverline to Trenton and then from there NJ Transit to Penn Station. You can also check towns along NJ Transit lines and see which ones offer a walkable downtown area, and where you can walk to the train. www.njtransit.com

Old 03-20-2012, 11:23 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4words View Post
Hi everybody,

I work in downtown manhattan and wanted to live in a safe, peaceful and quite area and was looking into moving to New Jersey. I don't have a car and will rely on public transportion to get to me to work and back home. I can afford up to $1500/month for a studio or 1br apartment, and would like my commute to work to be no longer than 90 minutes, but 2 hours might be ok as well. Are there any good suburban areas/small towns/villages I could look into?

Thanks a lot!
Are you sure you are OK with a 2 hour commute?!? You might be better off spending the extra $200 on rent than on commute. Also, consider the fact that not having a car might work with the commute part but what about weekly grocery shopping, etc? You don't want to live in a suburb where you need a car for your routine shopping.

I would suggest Jersey City (Newport, Grove Street and Exchange Place) and you can find a decent studio for around $1700-$1800. Commute will be under 30 minutes and around $50 for the Path train to downtown NYC.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:45 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Are you sure you are OK with a 2 hour commute?!? You might be better off spending the extra $200 on rent than on commute. Also, consider the fact that not having a car might work with the commute part but what about weekly grocery shopping, etc? You don't want to live in a suburb where you need a car for your routine shopping.

I would suggest Jersey City (Newport, Grove Street and Exchange Place) and you can find a decent studio for around $1700-$1800. Commute will be under 30 minutes and around $50 for the Path train to downtown NYC.
Good points. The problem is that "nice & quiet" doesn't often match up with "no car".

Old 03-20-2012, 02:09 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Try Red Bank, NJ. Nice town, walkable downtown area, train station, buses. There are apartment complexes that should be in your price range. Commute will be about 90 minutes to the WTC, maybe a few minutes more.

Red Bank's on the Navesink River, which is very scenic, plus you can take the train from there in the other direction 10 - 15 minutes to Long Branch and walk to the beach, or go further on down to other beach towns.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:34 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Try these towns
Morristown
Summit
South Orange
Newark's Forest Hills or the Ironbound Section
Montclair
Rahway
South Amboy
Red Bank
Metchun
Ridgewood
Rutherford
Bayonne
Weehawken
New Brunswick
Westwood
Hackensack
Harrison
Kearny

Old 03-20-2012, 09:42 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
I just leased a place in warren for a little over 1G a month with utilities included. A great area, but you need a car to get around

Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,491 times
You can live in Montclair, Maplewood, and South Orange without a car for sure. Commute to downtown Manhattan will be under an hour in most cases.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 AM

11 posts, read 36,054 times
Hey, Question: So I'll be working in Edison in June, Newark in July and Brooklyn in August. Any suggestions on the safest place to live in, near public transportation and best place to get to all three areas?

Old 03-21-2012, 05:31 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenoamena View Post
Hey, Question: So I'll be working in Edison in June, Newark in July and Brooklyn in August. Any suggestions on the safest place to live in, near public transportation and best place to get to all three areas?
Whats your limit in terms of rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey