Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:26 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,926 times

Advertisements

I admit it, my friends and I have settled into somewhat of a mind numbing rut. Our diversions from work and family responsibilities seem mainly to fall into the typical, movies, concerts, eating out, shopping, volunteering in our towns, and occasional theatre outings with a few hikes/bike rides thrown in for good measure. Frankly, after more years than I'd like to admit of this, I am tired of the same old, same old. I am looking for ideas for fun things for us to do to do in the NJ area that are different. While I say different, I am not looking to visit nudist resorts, or going skydiving or bungee jumping - nothing too crazy. (too shy and/or klutzy for those!) Just something non typical. I know there are many ideas and opportunities out there, come on and share your knowledge! Save us from this rut!

KoalaNJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 04:25 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
My friends and I rented a stretch limo one night and hit several restaurants along old 24 (publick house, Black horse, famished frog), and ended the night at Shanghai Jazz. Sooo much fun, and not nearly as expensive as you'd think.

I'll try to think of more!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:15 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,567 times
What's your location? Can't offer more information without a starting point.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
What's your location? Can't offer more information without a starting point.

While I personally am in (south eastern) Morris County, my circle of friends are scattered all over north and central NJ as well as NYC and Philly. We regularly get together to do things pretty much all over the region, so as long as it is in easy driving distance to NJ we are good to go!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:54 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
How about taking turns cooking a dinner? Or a board game followed by a spectacular dessert? Or take a yoga class or a dance class together? Or select a book to read and discuss. Try your hand at communal writing - a short story or poetry or a song - and if you do this while having a bottle (or two) of wine, it could be more fun than you can imagine!

Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,342 times
1. Get a personal chef to come in and serve a Tapas style event
2. Get a Sommelier/Drink Mixologist to come in and pour
3. Make it a casual but sophisticated black tie sort of event
4. Buy some great Jazz 50s-60s compilations on iTunes and set the music
5. Watch the Season Premiere of Mad Men
6. Invite me

Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM
s06

105 posts, read 256,432 times
If you and your friends travel in one car and haven't already visited all of the parks in New Jersey, perhaps you'd like to purchase a yearly park pass. Then, all of you would be able to picnic, ride bikes, or play sports in different locations, whenever you'd like.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
1. Get a personal chef to come in and serve a Tapas style event
2. Get a Sommelier/Drink Mixologist to come in and pour
3. Make it a casual but sophisticated black tie sort of event
4. Buy some great Jazz 50s-60s compilations on iTunes and set the music
5. Watch the Season Premiere of Mad Men
6. Invite me

Oh sounds like a great idea, thank you so much! Due to time limits and budget constraints we will get together and have a 60's themed pot luck dinner for our viewing party! Can we still purchase those mini hot dogs and crescent roll dough in the tubes for making those Hors d'oeuvres? Now to find my mom's famous casserole recipes from back in the day.

Keep the ideas coming everyone....anyone know of great out of the way interesting places to visit?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:01 AM

91 posts, read 375,930 times
Have you been to Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton, NJ and eaten at it's fabulous restaurant, Rat's. It's a unique experience. Makes a great day trip!

Old 03-22-2012, 09:58 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I admit it, my friends and I have settled into somewhat of a mind numbing rut. Our diversions from work and family responsibilities seem mainly to fall into the typical, movies, concerts, eating out, shopping, volunteering in our towns, and occasional theatre outings with a few hikes/bike rides thrown in for good measure. Frankly, after more years than I'd like to admit of this, I am tired of the same old, same old. I am looking for ideas for fun things for us to do to do in the NJ area that are different. While I say different, I am not looking to visit nudist resorts, or going skydiving or bungee jumping - nothing too crazy. (too shy and/or klutzy for those!) Just something non typical. I know there are many ideas and opportunities out there, come on and share your knowledge! Save us from this rut!

KoalaNJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Oh sounds like a great idea, thank you so much! Due to time limits and budget constraints we will get together and have a 60's themed pot luck dinner for our viewing party! Can we still purchase those mini hot dogs and crescent roll dough in the tubes for making those Hors d'oeuvres? Now to find my mom's famous casserole recipes from back in the day.

Keep the ideas coming everyone....anyone know of great out of the way interesting places to visit?
Have hard times befallen your group? Many of the activities you've tired of are pricier than a beanies and weenies dinner.

Yes, you can still get the teeny weenies for the horse's ovaries (but I use the biscuit dough that comes refrigerated in a tube - cut each one in half and wrap) We have them every Christmas by special request from my grandkids. Just a little nosh while waiting for the main event.

Mom's casserole recipes should remind everyone of their growing-up years. That is, if in fact your friends are grown up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey