U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,835 times

Advertisements

Just relocated to Northern NJ (Union County) from NYC. We signed our son up for little league thinking it would be 1 practice and 1 game per week. Now we've found out it is 2 practices and 2 games per week. This is way more time than we wanted to spend on baseball. We're not looking to raise a serious athlete. We just want him to be able to learn about sports and play on a team for fun. Are there any programs like this in sports crazed NJ? Can't even seem to find an AYSO chapter to get involved in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:29 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,468,490 times
Try the YMCA. They usually offer sports skills classes that are more informal and 1x/wk or maybe 2x/wk.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 PM

587 posts, read 2,067,817 times
House league ice hockey, normally just one scrimmage a week. Ice time is expensive lol

Old 03-29-2012, 07:42 PM

Ha! I have yet to come across a non-competitive hockey parent.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:06 AM

291 posts, read 918,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Try the YMCA. They usually offer sports skills classes that are more informal and 1x/wk or maybe 2x/wk.
I agree with this--try the Westfield Y if you're near there. I know at least 2 people who have had their kids in "intro to sports" type programs. It's at a set time each week, which might be easier than rotating sports schedules if you only want to give your child an initial exposure to sports.

Here's the site--what's available depends on your child's age:
Sports | Westfield Area Y

Unfortunately, many parents in these parts are pretty intense about sports from early on. Our town (in Bergen County) has soccer starting at age 3, but I am afraid to sign up my newly 3 y/o after seeing a game one day (the field is adjacent to a local playground where we were playing one Saturday morning).

Old 03-30-2012, 01:29 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,571,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponkiesburgher View Post
Are there any programs like this in sports crazed NJ?
Uggghhhhhh.............................

Sports crazed NJ? Really?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Also, you may want to consider alternative sports that are not as competitive (or offered at many different levels). For instance, Swimming, Golf, or Tennis.

How old is your son? Also what is AYSO?

Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 AM

10,333 posts, read 14,512,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffybear View Post
Also, you may want to consider alternative sports that are not as competitive (or offered at many different levels). For instance, Swimming, Golf, or Tennis.
Are you kidding me.

When my kids were on the HS swim team practices were 5am. Tennis practices were 3 times a week and even the marching band had 2 weeks of intensive practices in August.

No offense but life is competitive. You want them to do something that's not competitive, go teach them the game of solitare.

Even on the elementary school level there's some sort of competitive nature. That's life.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:36 AM

Examples

Swimming is offered at many levels....Lessons, summer team, non-competitive teams, moderately competitive teams, and ultra-competitive year-round swim teams training top athletes. YMCA's usually offer all levels, for example.

Tennis is offered at a lessons or competitive level.

Golf is offered primarily as lessons to kids below high school.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Are you kidding me.

When my kids were on the HS swim team practices were 5am. Tennis practices were 3 times a week and even the marching band had 2 weeks of intensive practices in August.

No offense but life is competitive. You want them to do something that's not competitive, go teach them the game of solitare.

Even on the elementary school level there's some sort of competitive nature. That's life.

Some kids just need sports for FITNESS, not competition.

The shame of the current status of youth sports is that the kids that need exercise are often driven out of sports because they "don't make the cut". That is why non-competitive programs are excellent for those kids...or for kids as described by the poster here..sounds like they don't have time to train their kid to be a top baseball player, but they'd like him to learn the sport and teamwork. Nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: