Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,154,272 times

Advertisements

The mob's real enough, but most Italian-Americans (even in NJ) have nothing to do with it and want nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
I am a half-blooded Italian who is a lifelong Southerner. My father's parents were Italian immigrants to Mississippi. I have been somewhat sensitive about that part of my heritage, with all the negative portrayals of Italian Americans in the media over the years. Recently "The Sopranos" came and went and was considered the greatest thing since sliced bread, according to a lot of TV critics. I have only watched a few minutes of it, but the violence and profanity were too much for me. For those of you leaving in north Jersey and/or are Italian American, how ethnically "real" did you find this show? I'm not accusing anyone of being a mobster or knowing anyone who is.

You would have to ask someone in that line of work who watched that program to know how real it was. Maybe I'll ask Uncle Guido when I see him again.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:10 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times
people like that surely exist (i know a few and have lived in a house with connected folks) but they are a small minority.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:56 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
It was fiction but the Feds used to hear all the mobsters talking about the previous episode on Monday mornings. Big fans.
I remember reading years before the Sopranos that law enforcement listening in on NY mafiosos said that they all loved The Godfather and similar movies.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I wasn't asking if "The Sopranos" was based on real people. I was asking if the characters were, aside from the criminal element, realistic representations of people in the north New Jersey area. I hope this eliminates any confusion.
I'm of Dutch and English descent, at least five generations in NJ. We don't even make our own tomato sauce.

Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The mob's real enough, but most Italian-Americans (even in NJ) have nothing to do with it and want nothing to do with it.
This is probably the best and most straight-forward answer to your question.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM

468 posts, read 783,218 times
My guess is that the show was so loved by critics because most of them live in the NY area. I don't think it played so well in the South where I live.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:29 AM

I only ever saw one episode of the Sopranos. Just happened to catch a rerun on some channel one day.

HBO is not in my budget.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:50 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,563,007 times
Quote:
My guess is that the show was so loved by critics because most of them live in the NY area. I don't think it played so well in the South where I live.
I grew up in NJ and my mom is from the Deep South. ( North Florida) I knew people that were like the Sopranos growing up in NJ. But it would be like asking if the portrayal of people in "My Cousin Vinny" is typical for Alabama. Yeah there are some like that but not all. I always liked John Grisham's portrayal of Mississippi folks, not caricatures of Southerners. NJ and MS/AL folks are usually caricatures when seen in movies.

My sister dated a guy who is full blooded Italian born and raised in rural North Florida. His family grew collard greens. He looks like he could be on the Sopranos but sound like he is on Fried Green Tomatoes

I thought the Sopranos was a great show. I know lots of people here in Jacksonville,FL who loved the show. Although if one gets upset about cuss words... not the show for you. People in NJ definatly use the F-word much more than here in the South. LOL

Old 03-23-2012, 01:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
ive never enountered anyone like that. there are people who want to be like that and want people to believe they have some kind of mafia connection. its pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey