Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 15,382 times

Advertisements

Hi guys I'm new here,

It would be great to hear from people who live or have actually visited this part often to tell me how it really is.
I'm moving to North Newark.

Parker St Newark, NJ 07104 Part of Parker St close to/ below Bloomfield Ave intersection.

I'd like to know if this area is safe because below 280 seems like a murderous capitol of the city. I am Dominican male from South Jersey. I've heard horrible stuff about Newark NJ. I've also heard some good things about Ironbound and Northern Parts like Forrest Hills and North Broadway. Forest Hills seems like it starts a block or so away from Parker St/ Bloomfield Ave intersection.

Can anyone who lives or visits frequently inform me on this? I'm not going to rent if the are is horrendously bad.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 05:25 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
That spot is NOT Forest Hill or North Broadway. South of Bloomfield Ave is bad with boarded up drug dens, especially one block over on Highland. North of Bloomfield Ave towards 2nd Ave and into Forest Hill is nicer and alot more well-kept. It's almost 2 completely different areas with Bloomfield Ave as the divider. Go on Google maps or better yet drive there during the day and see for yourself. You might want to find something in that area above Bloomfield Ave. Just use precaution and common sense in the city.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 15,382 times
Hey Marv95. I'm not too concerned about the way the block looks. I heard above Bloomfield Ave is alot nicer looking with nice houses which looks very suburban. All i wanted to know is if it was safe enough to be on the corner street.

It seems like Bloomfield Ave is a main shopping road. To think one block above to 2nd ave is alot safer seems a bit of a weird answer by you.

I know the houses are nicer and have cleaner roads, but it seems like 1 block away from what i can see as a popular shopping center street is much safer seem a bit strange to me. Don't alot of those people a block away go to stores there?

Can you elaborate?

Thanks,
Eric

Old 03-24-2012, 02:44 AM

99 posts, read 477,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
South of Bloomfield Ave is bad with boarded up drug dens, especially one block over on Highland.
Marv95, are you sure about this? Every inner city has boarded up houses, but Highland Ave. only has one or two. Many of the homes in this neighborhood are upkept really well. Those which haven't been are being rehabilitated by private owners. You could find A LOT worse in other areas of Newark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Go on Google maps or better yet drive there during the day and see for yourself.
Have you done this recently?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM

2 posts, read 14,929 times
I was born and raise in the first ward 165 Garside street, then I move to forest hill one block in from bloomfield ave. I left there over 33years ago. I went down to the first ward the summer of 2011. Bloomfield ave, from lake street down to broadway look like a war zone. Forest Hill look ok the houses cost a lot and the taxes are high they were high 33 years ago and there still high. I loved Newark that was then this is now, I would look for another city if you can afford it Nutley is safe and nice I lived there 22 years houses cost a lot and taxes are a lot. I moved 2001 to Toms River New Jersey . It is great here low taxes and you could buy a house at a good price. Alan

Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 14,929 times
Bloomfield ave runs 8 miles from Newark to West Caldwell, don't be fool by someone telling you bloomfield ave is nice . It once was in Newark is is not a safe place to be. I don't live there any more but I know a lot of people that are police officcers and fireman and I was there the summer of 2011. If you could move some other place if you have kids DON'T MOVE TO NEWARK!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 12,377 times
Do you think opening a caribbean bakery and restaurant in newark is a good idea?

Old 10-06-2014, 03:47 PM

12 posts, read 14,011 times
Do NOT move here!!!! I moved from Brooklyn 6 months ago. It is a horrible environment wherever you live. A Dominican man was just shot and killed. He owned a deli. They got $206.00. Even if it "looks" nice, eventually you will kick yourself for moving here. I do see alot of Caucasian people moving in around Lincoln Park. Please move to a better town.��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey