Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 01:14 PM

11 posts, read 33,597 times

Advertisements

We are very interested in moving to Ramsey. Does anyone have experience with the Ramsey special education programs at the high school? The district will not talk to me about their programs until I have registered my son at the high school! It would be nice to find out if the programs are compatible with my son's needs before I buy a house or sign a lease. Any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 02:05 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcal View Post
We are very interested in moving to Ramsey. Does anyone have experience with the Ramsey special education programs at the high school? The district will not talk to me about their programs until I have registered my son at the high school! It would be nice to find out if the programs are compatible with my son's needs before I buy a house or sign a lease. Any info would be great.
I have a good friend who is in the process of moving out of Ramsey because her child is special needs and she got such the run around from Ramsey. She actually had to get an advocate and a lawyer to make them do what was needed and even then it was as if they were doing her a favor. Seriously the speical ed dept there has people who couldn't care less about the kids they are supposed to be helping.

I know this is not what you want to hear and YMMV but I would check around and speak to some parents who have speical needs kids before you buy a house there.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:14 PM

I have visited three other schools in NJ and was treated very well. I couldn't believe that a public school can refuse to give me the smallest bit of information about their program. I really appreciate your feed back.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:35 PM

220 posts, read 623,537 times
Well, I wish I could speak to the Special Ed program b/c I grew up in Ramsey (well from 10 on) & it was a great place to be a kid. I did not attend the school system which we were always told was very good but again, not sure at all about the S/E. I might be able to reach out to an old friend who still lives there & raising her kids in the presently & see what she says & get back to you....I'm going to try & find her email right now...

Old 06-21-2008, 11:19 AM

Thank you...any info would be great..We really loved Ramsey but I can't go forward unless the school thing works out.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,747 times
Ramsey has a terrible record for kids with special services. The Director of Special Services is a very difficult person and she controls everything and everyone. She tends to label kids and they are not flexible at all. They do not put a lot of effort into these children, spending more time "dumbing down" the curriculum rather than using innovative methods. If you have an opportunity to go to another district, I would encourage you to do so.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,931 times
Unfortunately, nothing has changed in the four years since these posts. Although I truly love the community this town offers, and it is a wonderful place to live in so many ways, I have to say that if you have a child with special education needs, do not move here. After 7+ years of dealing with the school district, I am utterly appalled by what I have witnessed with the Ramsey Office of Special Services personnel, from the Director on down to the members of the child study teams. It runs far deeper than simple incompetence and is deliberate, systematic and insidious. Occasionally you run across someone who means well, but they are the exception and the power is wielded by those who have other priorities. Perhaps one day this may change, and I certainly hope it does, as I find it to be a terrible reflection upon our community, but until then, do your research and find a school district that is sensitive to the needs of your child and educators and administrators who are willing to speak to you before you enroll there.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times
That is terrible. I wish they'd get reprimanded for such awful "leadership" but I know that to be the case in some districts. But this sounds pretty bad. The administrator not willing to talk to the parent that called (original poster above) was a red flag.

Sorry to hear this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey